Photo

Boostc Under Linux

38 replies to this topic

Poll: Will you use BoostC under linux if it gets available? (141 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you use BoostC under linux if it gets available?

1. Yes I will. I'm interested in linux BoostC release. (111 votes [78.17%])

Percentage of vote: 78.17%

2. I'm not interested. I plan to BoostC under windows only. (27 votes [19.01%])

Percentage of vote: 19.01%

3. I don't care. (4 votes [2.82%])

Percentage of vote: 2.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 russ_hensel

russ_hensel

Enthusiast

• EstablishedMember
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Computing, electronics, gardening

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

Vista is making me think of leaving windows. Boostc is one of the things that ties me to it. Writing it in Java would be great, but running under some sort of windows like porting environment would be OK. Would like the whole ide including the debugger, they are really nice to work with.

Russ

Just a suggestion... Run Linux, get a copy of Vmware Server (it's free) and run a copy of Windows 2000 (or XP) under it. Use Samba to share files with the W2K virtual machine and run the IDE in the VM. Just don't allow the virtual machine access to the internet and you needn't worry too much about updates to Windows.

I'd do similar, except I installed my BoostC license on my laptop that runs XP. It shares files with my Linux box using Samba. I have a Windows 2000 virtual machine on the Linux box which I use to run Winpic and Screamer for PIC programming. It also has Mplab for maintaining some of my old assembly code. I compile on the laptop, copy the hex file to a net drive then download to the PIC using Screamer.

Orin.

Have vmware up now under ubuntu which seems very cool. This would let me run it, but would rather be native.

Good tip if it is not available.

Russ

#32 Jacob Christ

Jacob Christ

Regular

• EstablishedMember
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

I would rather you spent you time fixing bugs and implimneting expected yet unimplimted features of the C language.

The linux community seems to have several ways in which to run Boost C without additional effort on your part.

Jacob

#33 NDHolmes

NDHolmes

Newbrie

• EstablishedMember
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

Let me be another to say that a native version of the BoostC compiler/linker that would run on Linux would be great, even if that doesn't include the IDE itself and all the GUI porting that would go with it. I'm perfectly happy to use gedit or the like. BoostC and the old C2C compiler are pretty much the only reasons I boot my workshop machine into Windows these days. I tried running it via a VM for a while, but with the hassle of network drives and the general sluggishness of the machine, it was unpleasant at best.

#34 jamwaffles

jamwaffles

Newbrie

• EstablishedMember
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

tha latest sourceboost ide works great on the latest wine, but native linux support would be a dream come true. and a suitcase full of money... if you could get it to interface with the linux command line, any existing progger software could be used which would speed up development massively. thanks very much for considering linux and PLEASE go ahead with the project. for the widgets and stuff could i recomend wither QT (kde, but there's v3 and v4 for kde3 and kde4 or w.e.) which works with gnome and kde (the main desktops) or GTK2.0 for gnome which i THINK works with kde (?? correct me if im wrong anyone). or just think 'ah hell, well use the x toolkit', just MAKE IT FOR LINUX PLEASE!!

james waples, 14

ps. i will buy one of your licences if you do boostc for linux (SERIOUSLY)

#35 animeranger

animeranger

Regular

• EstablishedMember
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

tha latest sourceboost ide works great on the latest wine, but native linux support would be a dream come true. and a suitcase full of money... if you could get it to interface with the linux command line, any existing progger software could be used which would speed up development massively. thanks very much for considering linux and PLEASE go ahead with the project. for the widgets and stuff could i recomend wither QT (kde, but there's v3 and v4 for kde3 and kde4 or w.e.) which works with gnome and kde (the main desktops) or GTK2.0 for gnome which i THINK works with kde (?? correct me if im wrong anyone). or just think 'ah hell, well use the x toolkit', just MAKE IT FOR LINUX PLEASE!!

james waples, 14

It's worth buying the license for use on Linux. I've been using it on Linux for a month or two now (ever since I found out registration worked via command line). It works almost flawlessly with PikLab, and it works just as well with Eclipse.
Eclipse you have to modify a few settings and write your own Makefile, but if you've ever programmed using Linux before, you can probably already do that.

Also, I'm not sure if you can run goodies.exe on Linux, but if you run it on Windows and move the NOVO sources to Linux, they work as well. Just remember to delete them off the Windows machine due to the license (only allowed on one node). If you are going to make large scale projects, I'd recommend NOVO. It's amazing how well it works and how simple it is.

I should probably stop there before I start treading into BoostC fan-boy territory.

- Bill

#36 sdujolo

sdujolo

Regular

• EstablishedMember
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

james waples, 14

It's worth buying the license for use on Linux. I've been using it on Linux for a month or two now (ever since I found out registration worked via command line). It works almost flawlessly with PikLab, and it works just as well with Eclipse.
Eclipse you have to modify a few settings and write your own Makefile, but if you've ever programmed using Linux before, you can probably already do that.

Also, I'm not sure if you can run goodies.exe on Linux, but if you run it on Windows and move the NOVO sources to Linux, they work as well. Just remember to delete them off the Windows machine due to the license (only allowed on one node). If you are going to make large scale projects, I'd recommend NOVO. It's amazing how well it works and how simple it is.

I should probably stop there before I start treading into BoostC fan-boy territory.

- Bill

I have try to run under wine in ubuntu 8.04 it works if I use the last open project but I canīt open a new one then it close it self and noting happen. I think if you have it working correct under wine it will be ok but at the moment it does not:(

#37 helicop

helicop

Newbrie

• EstablishedMember
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Golf

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

I would recommend virtualbox - I run CS3 in it all day long under Linux, Ive never ran into a virus issue but that is all I use it for... even if a virus attacked it should only be able to get to your virtual environment.
Stop your blood pressure Triamterene online

#38 jims

jims

Newbrie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

I would prefer that your attention is spent on improving the compiler (it has it's quirks). Also, unless the plan would be to support some of the development tools (ICD2, etc), this would seem to be a large wasted effort. I detest using Windows, but sometimes it is necessary. Neither Wine nor Win4Lin support non-Windows drivers as would be required for the various development tools.

#39 Sica

Sica

Newbrie

• EstablishedMember
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

I use Linux and Virtualbox with extended pack for a windows. Only use of windows is to run Sourceoost and MpLab (I use a ICD2 for programming and mplab manage it pretty god). I am not sure, but I think that saw in Piklab option to use boostc compiler(but I am not shure witch version). Of course, if will be a version of sourceboost that run under linux and support ICD2 I will use it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users