3 replies to this topic

#1 douginarug

douginarug

Newbrie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

Newbe here
I have downloaded and read most of the BoostC C compiler reference manual. I have also looked through many examples of code. I can't however locate a complete list of instructions that can be used in BoostC.

Where can I find a BoostC instruction set?

I have found simple instructions like;
while
if
else
for
goto
delay_ms
switch
case
break
... etcetera etcetera

But where is there a more complete list? Shouldn't I be able to find another manual on SourceBoost.com?

Please help a new guy out.

#2 Reynard

Reynard

Maniac

• EstablishedMember
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Archery - target and field

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

SourceBoost doesn't teach you the C language. There are thousands of books out there that can do that for you and web sites.

SourceBoost manuals tell you how to use the compilers etc.

Cheers

Reynard

#3 douginarug

douginarug

Newbrie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

Hi,

SourceBoost doesn't teach you the C language. There are thousands of books out there that can do that for you and web sites.

SourceBoost manuals tell you how to use the compilers etc.

Cheers

Reynard

Thanks for the quick reply Reynard. But that did not answer my question.

I know how to program in C. I am not a total Newb, I just don't know the SourceBoost syntax.
I have found instructions in other compilers that I would like to use, but they don't exist in SourceBoost or they have a different syntax.

I thought someone with experience with this compiler would say "OH, just go to this web site at www.blablabla " or something a little more helpful.

It can be very frustrating to know what you want to do, how to write the code, but not know how to write it for this compiler.
There are also instructions that exist only in the PIC world. I can read the data sheets for the processor I want to program but I want to program in C not asm.

#4 Reynard

Reynard

Maniac

• EstablishedMember
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Archery - target and field

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hi,

The makers say the compiler is "close to ANSI C".

This is a very low cost product. Dave and Pavel probable to not have the resources to write a full blown manuals for all their products.

Scan through the standard C header files to get the syntax or just assume standard C.

Remember that a PIC has its limitations and is not a Pentium or whatever Intel are selling these days.

BoostC does have features missing that other PIC compilers do have but you have to compare the product price as well.

I always say, "If the feature you want isn't there, write your own".

Cheers

Reynard

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users