Sign in to follow this  
2sb18

Can't Compile Because Of Pp.exe Error

Hey,

I just downloaded the 6.10 and was all excited to use it but when I wen't to build my project, I got the following error.

pp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't know what that means. Does anyone else?

Thanks,

Steve

This looks like a standard windows message that is issued when a program crashes. We need to reproduce the problem to be able to fix it. Can you send your zipped project to support@picant.com

Regards,

Pavel

Hi,

i´ve encountered a similar problem with sourceboot 6.10

it says: "error in preprocessing" and "failure code 1"

that doesn´t always happen, but i figured out, the more complex a program gets, the more likely this error occurs.

i tired with just simple led blinking programs and everything was fine, but with my more complex application, i can´t compile. i am on to write a function decoder for both lenz dcc and motorola format for model rail systems. im writing on a pic12f629 with mplab in c++ and use sourceboost as the compiler and emulator.

before i updated, i used surceboost 6.00, and everyting was fine.

my reason for upgrading: 32bit long varaibles (good for the readin of the frame format)

and direct bit adressing of a variable - no need of "variable_name&0x0..." anymore...

sincerely,

Sebastian

...i tired with just simple led blinking programs and everything was fine, but with my more complex application, i can´t compile. i am on to write a function decoder for both lenz dcc and motorola format for model rail systems. im writing on a pic12f629 with mplab in c++ and use sourceboost as the compiler and emulator.

Which compiler do you use? From your comments is sounds like you use BoostC but why you mention c++? BoostC is a C compiler.

before i updated, i used surceboost 6.00, and everyting was fine.

my reason for upgrading: 32bit long varaibles (good for the readin of the frame format)

and direct bit adressing of a variable - no need of "variable_name&0x0..." anymore...

Preprocessor didn't change since 6.0 release. We changed BoostC code that calls preprocessor a bit and maybe this is a problem. In any case we need to be able to reproduce this problem to fix it. Please as soon as you see this error zip the whole project directory (so that the problem doesn't go away) and send this zip with some comments if needed to support@picant.com

Regards,

Pavel

I've figured out what the problem was. I moved my files at the same time that I downloaded 6.10 so I thought the problem was with the new sourceboost and not with the moving of files. But I was wrong. It seems that pp.exe doesn't like stuff being in lots of directories.

When my project was in c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\.... on and on, it crapped out.

I moved it to c:\PicProgramming\... and it worked.

Steve.

Seems that this problem is related to too long path to the directory where project is located. If you see this problem the workaround is to move the project to another location that has shorted path. We'll be looking at this problem further.

Regards,

Pavel

Got it. We use a preprocessor written by a third party and I just figured out that max length of a processed file including full path to it is 79 characters. If it's longer preprocessor just crashes. And since starting from 6.10 full path is always used people see this problem. This is now fixed and a new release 6.11 is ready to download.

Regards,

Pavel