DrStein99

16f84a Fuses - Please Help What Are They

I have alot of exp in programming but this is my first pic project. Using a pic-pg4 burner (cheap-o) & "icprog" to burn my chips, and c-boost software to write / compile my tests.

I am able to get the simulator to work blinking leds, and everythings ok. But when i download my program to the eprom, it blinks SUPER FAST.

I think it has something to do with my fuse settings? I dont know what i'm doing or whats got to or not be checked. I read the data-sheet on the microchip website, briefly the section on regarding fuses.

I imagine I just set everything to "HS".

The prototype developer board has a 20 mhz cystal.

Does anyone have any explanation links on fuse switches?

-

DrStein99,

I am able to get the simulator to work blinking leds, and everythings ok. But when i download my program to the eprom, it blinks SUPER FAST.
Thats good, at least its blinking :)

Remember that the simulator is alot slower than the actual device.

Remember to specify the clock frequency of the target device using:

#pragma CLOCK_FREQ 20000000

If this is not specified, then the default is 4MHz.

If the wrong freqency is set, all the delay functions will generate the wrong delays.

Have fun :rolleyes:

Regards

Dave

thanks for advice. I had that set.... to "2000000", it was ONE zero off. I'm sure that was the issue.

It was originally "4000000" and i knew it was supposed to be 20 mhz but i mis-read the # of 0's.

There is another part of the options where i set the clock too, i saw somewhere.

---

I'm trying to build devices that take input from a revolution pulse or encoder wheels. These are time-sensitive projects, that must report "RPM" in accurate real-time.

So, if the simulator is slower (and it seems to be ALOT slower on my system) - I'm guessing the only way to test this stuff is live on the chip-test platform?

DrStein99,

So, if the simulator is slower (and it seems to be ALOT slower on my system) - I'm guessing the only way to test this stuff is live on the chip-test platform?
As you can't feed real world signals into the simualtor, the answer is yes.

Using the logic analyser plugin (if you have purchased the extra plugins) you can apply signals to inputs as the simulated rate, ie every thing should happen as it would with the actual hardware (allbeit that the actual process takes longer).

Regards

Dave