johannblake

What Hardware Do I Need To Work With Boostc

I would like to try out BoostC along with the IDE. I want to use specific Microchip PICs (I will try out several PICs). I also need to add some peripherals to the chip so I need a development board that allows me to prototype (breadboard). There are no doubt many such boards on the market but I want to make sure that I get one that is known to work with the BoostC compiler and the IDE. Any recommendations. It shouldn't be expensive.

I would like to try out BoostC along with the IDE. I want to use specific Microchip PICs (I will try out several PICs). I also need to add some peripherals to the chip so I need a development board that allows me to prototype (breadboard). There are no doubt many such boards on the market but I want to make sure that I get one that is known to work with the BoostC compiler and the IDE. Any recommendations. It shouldn't be expensive.

Currently BoostC supports the PIC16F and PIC18 families. If you are just starting out with Microchip then forget about the 16F family unless you aer looking for footprints below 18 pin because the PIC18F family offers superior price/performance in architecture, peripherals, memory, instruction set etc. Microchip is continuously bringing new 16F and 18F products to market and the SourceBoost guys have demonstrated they are on top on their game by quickly releasing support for the new processors. There is no specific hardware platform required to support BoostC. There is a hardware platform that you can buy (see the home page) but realistically you can use anything you like. What some people do is use the PICDEM boards from Microchip because they know other will use then for their own code development which makes it very easy to support other peoples code with minimla if any changes. Personally I have developed my own hardware platform that contains the typical elements for the type of projects I get involved with. I am currently working on my next generation development board (not a product plug as I have no plans to sell it to anyone else). This board will include power regulators, two RS232 ports, one rs485 port, on usb controller (not embedded in a PIC), RTC. 24LC512 EEPROM, MMC/SD card slot, Ethernet (ENC28J60), status leds, a couple of switches, some analog inputs and FRAM. This will cover about 95% of my projects. Note that most development breadboards would include an LCD interface but I don't use them.