Sign in to follow this  
Picxie

Ide Freezing

Hi

The IDE (version 6.30) will freeze up when switching back in from another app.

The title bar and Task Manager say "Not responding" Pressing the X button in the IDE window brings up a dialog "Not responding" which allows you to shut the IDE down.

The toolset is BoostC for PIC18, I am using XP.

Picxie,

What CPU and RAM do you have ?

Regards

Dave

Picxie,

What CPU and RAM do you have ?

Regards

Dave

Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz. System info says x86 Family 15 model 2 stepping 4 genuine Intel 1817 Mhz.

512 Megs of RAM.

Does your CPU run in hyper-threaded mode? Can yu describe steps how to reproduce the problem? Does it happen occasionally or every time?

Regards,

Pavel

Does your CPU run in hyper-threaded mode? Can yu describe steps how to reproduce the problem? Does it happen occasionally or every time?

Regards,

Pavel

Dont know about Hyper threading, how can I find out.

Happens occasionally.

To recreate have IDE and a few other applications running like Internet Explorer or Acrobat (nothing maximised ), open a few files in IDE, do a build or two, and then click mouse into the different applications and back to IDE.

When IDE freezes the Task Manager shows two instances of SourceBoost IDE (not responding)in the applications tab and one instance of ide in the processes tab. When not frozen only one instance is in the application tab.

Dont know about Hyper threading, how can I find out.

Dave has a hyper-threaded CPU. He might give you more details.

To recreate have IDE and a few other applications running like Internet Explorer or Acrobat (nothing maximised ), open a few files in IDE, do a build or two, and then click mouse into the different applications and back to IDE.

When you click on another application and IDE freezes is it still compiling or by that time compilation already has stopped?

Regards,

Pavel

When you click on another application and IDE freezes is it still compiling or by that time compilation already has stopped?

Regards,

Pavel

Compilation has stopped.

Ive just noticed that if you drag another window left to right across the IDE the redraw of the frame, buttons toolbars etc is quite noticable compared to dragging accross other apps. ie visible white squares, The open files in the IDE redraw quite fast. This effect occurs with a freshly opened IDE or one that has done some work.

Regards,

Pavel

Compilation has stopped.

Ive just noticed that if you drag another window left to right across the IDE the redraw of the frame, buttons toolbars etc is quite noticable compared to dragging accross other apps. ie visible white squares, The open files in the IDE redraw quite fast. This effect occurs with a freshly opened IDE or one that has done some work.

I couldn't reproduce anything you desdribed. On my PC IDE never crashes and redraws fast. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. I can't fix the problem since I can't reproduce it :( Will try some more. If you get any new details that can help in understanding the problem please post.

Does anybody else has similar problem? If you do please post into this thread as well.

Regards,

Pavel

I couldn't reproduce anything you desdribed. On my PC IDE never crashes and redraws fast. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. I can't fix the problem since I can't reproduce it :( Will try some more. If you get any new details that can help in understanding the problem please post.

Does anybody else has similar problem? If you do please post into this thread as well.

Regards,

Pavel

Just done again (whilst building) Portions of the IDE window that where covered by other windows are not redrawn at all, i.e. white, however the parts of the window still visible redraw smoothly and rapidly when another window is dragged across.

Bizarre!

Picxie,

Dave has a hyper-threaded CPU. He might give you more details
Hyper thread causes the CPU to act much like two CPUs. To determine if you have it under windows XP;

1) Press ctrl alt del to activate windows task manager.

2) Goto menu View->CPU history, make sure one graph per cpu is selected.

3) Goto the Performance tab and see if you have more than one graph next to each other in CPU usage history. Each processor will have its own graph.

Regards

Dave

Picxie,

Dave has a hyper-threaded CPU. He might give you more details
Hyper thread causes the CPU to act much like two CPUs. To determine if you have it under windows XP;

1) Press ctrl alt del to activate windows task manager.

2) Goto menu View->CPU history, make sure one graph per cpu is selected.

3) Goto the Performance tab and see if you have more than one graph next to each other in CPU usage history. Each processor will have its own graph.

Regards

Dave

I'm not at my work machine now but I dont recall seeing anything like that, I wont be at work till Monday but I might download it at home and try it out here.

We were able to reproduce and fix this problem. Fix will be available in the next release.

Regards,

Pavel

Hi all,

on my machine I have a similar problem.

But here the IDE freezes directly after starting it. Sometimes, unfortunately not so often, it starts loading the last project. But it costs many tries.

I can't find a reason for it. If I start it very often it runs suddenly. Sometimes...

Windows XP SP2, Pentium 1,4 GHz, 1G RAM

Could it be the same problem and is it fixed as well?

Is there a trick for me to get my application running?

Regards,

Martin

on my machine I have a similar problem.

But here the IDE freezes directly after starting it. Sometimes, unfortunately not so often, it starts loading the last project. But it costs many tries.

I can't find a reason for it. If I start it very often it runs suddenly. Sometimes...

Windows XP SP2, Pentium 1,4 GHz, 1G RAM

Could it be the same problem and is it fixed as well?

Is there a trick for me to get my application running?

It may be the same problem. Can you send a mail to support@picant.com and we will reply with a new ide attached for you to test.

Regards,

Pavel

Joe,

I reported this here about a year ago....
Sorry - Its a shame we couldn't reproduce it then, or it would have been fixed before. I think slightly more detailed instructions on how to make it happen would have helped.

Regards

Dave

It may be the same problem. Can you send a mail to support@picant.com and we will reply with a new ide attached for you to test.

Regards,

Pavel

I downloaded IDE 6.31 this morning, it has worked fine all day, definitely frost free! The redraw of windows components is still sluggish compared to other applications but not a great problem.

Thanks