Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Boostbasic Compiler Beta Release

Hello all,

BoostBasic is now available, its is downloaded at part of the SourceBoost Software Package from here

The great appeal of this compiler is that the language structure is very close to Microsoft Visual Basic.

It supports some PIC12, all PIC16 and all PIC18 Targets.

This compiler is currently in its early Beta stage, but completely free to use while in Beta release.

Regards

Dave

Claus,

Nothing has been decided regarding price as yet.

But pricing levels and pricing structure will no doubt be similar to BoostC compiler.

Regards

Dave

Cool! I can live with that. It will be nice to use some commercial tools instead of the Cygwin/SDCC combo that I've been busting my chops trying to get running for the past few days.

Dave,

Have we got any boostbasic code clips for establishing serial coms with a PIC16f628?

Also, can you point me at some text describing how I integrate boostbasic with microchip mplab?

I plan on starting out with the sourceboost ide but will probably eventually shift over to the mplab.

Thanks,

Plass

Plass,

Have we got any boostbasic code clips for establishing serial coms with a PIC16f628?
Have a look at the BoostBasic examples on the web site.

Also, can you point me at some text describing how I integrate boostbasic with microchip mplab?

Non exists at the moment, but the process should be exactly the same as with BoostC. Just substitute the BoostBasic compiler for for the BoostC compiler, the linker use if the same one.

Regards

Dave

Sorry about the silly question concerning the code clips. I found them a few moments after posting. I've only been on your site for a few minutes.

Hmmm... baud rate limited to 2400 and it isn't obvious how you change that. No big deal. I can turn the serial speed down on the VB.NET and Java comms apps till I figure that one out.

Any idea when you guys are going to do a commercial release of BoostBasic?

Plass,

Any idea when you guys are going to do a commercial release of BoostBasic?
Nothing has been decided. We have been waiting for more user feedback.

So far very few problems have been reported, this is not so surprising as the compiler/linker are based on the BoostC compiler/linker.

Regards

Dave

Oh yeah... I'm coming into PIC programming via an open technology project to build a von Neumann Self-replicating machine... that's fancy talk for a 3D printer that can print the overwhelming majority of its own parts. If you're interested our website is...

http://reprap.org

I want to get into pic programming for controller boards for the project, but the people already doing that kind of work are all committed Linux folk committed to using SDCC. I've ordinarily got no problems with C, but apparently the PIC support is very buggy and difficult to get to work right until you get just the right versions of all the components in a build. They've got it tottering along on Linux and getting it running on Windows is a "someday" priority for them since I'm the only one regularly using Windows on the project.

I decided this morning to go with something that was a little less difficult to get into. You guys look like you might fill that bill, since I've been working with the various incarnations of VB for the past 12 years. :-)

We have been waiting for more user feedback.

I can probably help you out there. I tend to get as close to the envelope on software as I can and I'm good about reporting odd behaviours.

BTW, I'm not a total tyro with PIC. I did a bunch of PIC-based automated instrument design back in the mid-1990's in Hong Kong. I had an engineer, though, who did the nitty gritty C programming and ICE work. I just did the design concepts and control scheme layout. I hope to really get my hands dirty this time around. :-D

Hi Dave et al,

I have recently started looking at BoostBasic to ease me into programming PICs, but the licence is set to expire very soon. On building the project it hangs for some time before displaying a nag message, which is really rather annoying. It does then complete the build - is this supposed to happen?

Are there plans to issue the compiler on a commercial basis or can we expect an extension to the beta licence (and removal of the nag)? The documentation is a little sparse at present for release I think. I am frequently referring to the C compiler documentation to fill in the gaps in the Basic help.

On a more positive note it does seem to be powerful, usable and stable so I hope you will find the time to finish it.

Regards, Phil.

OK, it looks like I just missed out on release 6.60 with the extended expiry date. I should have checked for updates but I'd not long downloaded it so I didn't, and for some reason the 2006-November-30 news item regarding the new release didn't appear on my system in December.

I'll try again some time with BoostBasic, but the current project is now in MPLABASM and going ok as it is fairly simple.