Sign in to follow this  
wittend

Lcd Library Code & Pic16f689

I am fairly inexperienced with programming PIC's, and what I have done was a while ago. I am unsure whether the LCD library works with the chip I am attempting to use and if so, whether I am setting all of the necessary parameters.

I am trying to use the LCD code provided with the BoostC compiler & SourceBoost IDE to drive an LCD with a PIC16F689. This is (you probably know) a 20 pin device with 12 A/D inputs, SSP, and EUSART with 4096 words of flash & 256 bytes RAM.

The code as I have it set up runs in the simulator, but I have no luck

when I try to run it in the chip.

One particular thing that confuses me is the comment in the code:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// LCD template arguments - defines how the LCD is connected to the PIC

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// These must be define before template header file is included

// Remember when using LCD in 4 bit mode you must connect to the LCDs

// DB4-DB7 pin

Does this mean that only the high nibble mode works, is it just a

comment about one of the tested chips, or is it one of those ambiguities

that tend to remain in comments long after their usefullness? Perhaps

it meant something at one time, but the limitation has been removed. Or

perhaps I am misunderstanding altogether.

Here is what I'm doing...

// RS to RA0

// R/W to RA1

// E to RA2

// DB0 to RC0

// DB1 to RC1

// DB2 to RC2

// DB3 to RC3

// DB4 (nc)

// DB5 (nc)

// DB6 (nc)

// DB7 (nc)

Settings that I am using:

=========================

#define LCD_ARGS 1, // 2 = 4 bit(upper nibble)

1, // 1 = use busy signal

PORTC, // data

TRISC, // data

PORTA, // control

TRISA, // control

0, // port pin for RS

1, // port pin for RW

2 // port pin for E

The default pragmas defined in the sample code:

#ifdef _PIC16

#pragma DATA _CONFIG, _CP_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF &_WDT_OFF&_INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT

#else

... N.A.

#endif

I want to use the 8 MHz internal clock (INTOSCIO mode 8 - RA4 & RA5

available for I/O - according to the documentation.):

#pragma CLOCK_FREQ 8000000

and when I write to flash I recompile with this commented out:

//#define RUN_UNDER_SIM

and in main() I settled on:

void main()

{

// most important line that is often forgotten

// - turn PortA inputs that we are using into digital mode.

// adcon1 = 00001110b;

ansel = 00000000b; // should RA0, RA1, RA2

// and RC0, RC1, RC2, RC3 in digital mode.

lcd_setup();

}

I am using the current version of the compiler & IDE

wittend,

// These must be define before template header file is included

// DB4-DB7 pin

Does this mean that only the high nibble mode works, is it just a

comment about one of the tested chips, or is it one of those ambiguities

that tend to remain in comments long after their usefullness? Perhaps

it meant something at one time, but the limitation has been removed. Or

perhaps I am misunderstanding altogether.

You are right, this meant something once, but now does not apply.

If you code works under the simulator but not on the actual device, then check the configuration of the ports you are using, with respection to analog setup - make sure pins that you use are set to digital I/O use. ADC simulation on the simulator is limited.

Regards

Dave

wittend,

If you code works under the simulator but not on the actual device, then check the configuration of the ports you are using, with respection to analog setup - make sure pins that you use are set to digital I/O use. ADC simulation on the simulator is limited.

Regards

Dave

I have spent some time trying to be sure that I am setting the correct register to put the ADC - capable pins into digital mode, but I am still unsure that I am doing the right thing. As best I can make out, on this processor the ANSEL andd ANSELH registers are responsible for this, with one bit for each pin. Because I am only concerned with RA0-RA3 and RC0-RC3, I set all of the ANSEL bits to 0. My read of the specs suggests that this should cover me. If someone else is familiar with this series of chips (PICF687/688/689/690) and can confirm or correct me I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

-- Dave

wittend,

Regards

Dave

I have spent some time trying to be sure that I am setting the correct register to put the ADC - capable pins into digital mode, but I am still unsure that I am doing the right thing. As best I can make out, on this processor the ANSEL andd ANSELH registers are responsible for this, with one bit for each pin. Because I am only concerned with RA0-RA3 and RC0-RC3, I set all of the ANSEL bits to 0. My read of the specs suggests that this should cover me. If someone else is familiar with this series of chips (PICF687/688/689/690) and can confirm or correct me I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

-- Dave

Still no luck!

I have spent quite a bit of time trying to make this work - studying and experimenting with the ADC registers, the _CONFIG settings, rebuilding my test harness - four times with new components. Everything I can think of. I have built new programs to test the I/O register configurations & clock settings. Simple led blinkers, etc. They work fine.

It is only when I try to use the LCD library with the PIC16F689 that I get no results. I hate to suggest that the problem is not in my setup or code, but because I can't find any other source and because I see no indication that the LCD code has actually been tested with this chip or any of its nearest relatives (F687, F688, or F690), I have to suspect that there might be a problem there.

I hate to expose myself to possible (probable!) embarrasment by questioning the library, but I am at wits end.

-- Dave

wittend,

It is only when I try to use the LCD library with the PIC16F689 that I get no results.
When you say no results, what do you mean exactly?

I knew someone once how spent weeks trying to get their LCD software working, only to find that the contrast setting on the LCD display was not connect - so the output on the display could not be seen.

Regards

Dave

wittend,

It is only when I try to use the LCD library with the PIC16F689 that I get no results.
When you say no results, what do you mean exactly?

I knew someone once how spent weeks trying to get their LCD software working, only to find that the contrast setting on the LCD display was not connect - so the output on the display could not be seen.

Regards

Dave

I've checked for that. I had the clock setup wrong for a while, and I wasn't certain that I could use the internal source until I wrote a little program to verify that it was working - that just blinked an led.

The biggest difference between my code and the setups shown in the comments is that I use ports A & C rather than A & B. I want to use I2C or SPI when all is said & done, and the communications hardware uses the four B port pins which are implemented.

It is probably something dumb, but I just don't see a source of the problem.

wittend,

Did you ever have this LCD display working ?

Maybe to get started you should connect it to PORTB, just to see something on it.

Regards

Dave

wittend,

Did you ever have this LCD display working ?

Maybe to get started you should connect it to PORTB, just to see something on it.

Regards

Dave

Thanks.

I have tried several LCDs including two 'virgins' still in sealed wrappers from DigiKey. I may try portb, but if that is the only way it can work, the LCD library is useless to me. It leaves the SPI & EUSART hardware unusable, which makes the chips essentially worthless.

I am almost ready to give up on this. It has taken up an obscene amount of time for results which do not seem worth the effort.

-- Dave Witten

Dave,

I have tried several LCDs including two 'virgins' still in sealed wrappers from DigiKey. I may try portb, but if that is the only way it can work, the LCD library is useless to me.
I only suggest using PORTB as away of narrowing down the problem, not as a permanent solution.

I understand your frustrations, I'm sure we have all been there on many project - so try to keep smiling ;)

Regards

Dave

No joy...

I've tried portB with results that seem the same as always. I set the backlight so that I can barely see the background, turn on power, and twiddle the backlight port hoping to see something. But there is nothing.

A question:

I have tried all of this using the high 4 data bits, the low 4 databits, and with the option for high 4/low 4 set in the code. In (I believe) all possible combinations. The LCD datasheet I am using for reference - specifically the Optrex DMC LCD Family datasheet - indicates that in four bit mode, only the high nibble should be used. One of the LCDs that I am using is a member of that family, but others are not. Is it generally true that only one or the other nibbles is available on the LCD, or can some use either? (all are text-mode only LCDs).

-- Dave Witten

The LCD datasheet I am using for reference - specifically the Optrex DMC LCD Family datasheet - indicates that in four bit mode, only the high nibble should be used.  One of the LCDs that I am using is a member of that family, but others are not.  Is it generally true that only one or the other nibbles is available on the LCD, or can some use either? (all are text-mode only LCDs).

It simply depends on what LCD controller is installed onboard. Anyway, you have a five nines (99.999%) odds that your display hosts some clone of the universally known Hitachi's HD44780U. If this is the case, 4-bit mode must use the high nibble, and it is good practice to tie the low nibble to ground, unless otherwise noted on the LCM documentation (some National "LM-" parts are very sensible to this, while most others are not).

I have no practical knowledge of the fresh new PIC you're using (anyway that's simply a sort of 16F73 evolution in a 20 pin package, with the usual backport of some cutting edge register organization trends from the 18 families and some new silicon peripherals), but it sounds very odd that driving a character LCD does not result in an immediate straightforward success. I'm sorry I do not own the related ICE module, just to quickly craft a test for you.

In such cases, when any other trivial explaination has been excluded, I tend to suggest a good session with a logic analyzer, with one eye to the HD44780 datasheet. Even one of those low cost USB boxes can be enough to trace what's happening at the LCD data and control inputs. That shall definitively track down any problem and its origin.

It simply depends on what LCD controller is installed onboard. Anyway, you have a five nines (99.999%) odds that your display hosts some clone of the universally known Hitachi's HD44780U. If this is the case, 4-bit mode must use the high nibble, and it is good practice to tie the low nibble to ground, unless otherwise noted on the LCM documentation (some National "LM-" parts are very sensible to this, while most others are not).

I have no practical knowledge of the fresh new PIC you're using (anyway that's simply a sort of 16F73 evolution in a 20 pin package, with the usual backport of some cutting edge register organization trends from the 18 families and some new silicon peripherals), but it sounds very odd that driving a character LCD does not result in an immediate straightforward success. I'm sorry I do not own the related ICE module, just to quickly craft a test for you.

In such cases, when any other trivial explaination has been excluded, I tend to suggest a good session with a logic analyzer, with one eye to the HD44780 datasheet. Even one of those low cost USB boxes can be enough to trace what's happening at the LCD data and control inputs. That shall definitively track down any problem and its origin.

Thanks for the info!

Sometimes it is the lack of this kind of 'oral tradition' information & perspective that makes me crazy. At least one of the LCDs that I am testing specifically uses the original HD44780. The Optrexs use a Samsung clone, and one uses house labeled parts I can't identify, but which were sold as a clone of the Hitachi.

I don't have a logic analyzer, but perhaps it is time to invest in one.

I suspect that my problem may lie in the configuration of registers selecting the function of some of the port pins I am using. I believe that I have disabled the ADC functionality, but I am less certain about some of the other functions, particularly the comparators. The registers have different names and different organization than in older chips.

-- Dave Witten

You could always build my cheap logic analyzer with a PIC. It will cost you about $20 to build. Less if you have some junk laying around.

My PIC projects webpage

It has very limited memory and only samples at 1 Mega sample/sec but it has helped me track down many problems.

You could always build my cheap logic analyzer with a PIC.  ...

I had a look at your projects and then went to see what chips I had on hand. I don't have any 16F873's, though I do have 16F877's. I will pursue this further soon.

But I also saw your LCD solution using a 16F628. I did have some of those lying around, so I burned your code into one and hooked it up to my displays to see if I had some bad parts, of if I am just cursed. I did determine that one older surplus LCD was at at best marginal, but when I hooked up to my better ones they worked fine.

So your solution did at least give me confidence that my tools & parts are in spec, and whatever is bedeviling me is in the code. I would just do it your way, since it works well, but I want to use the 16F689 and a four bit interface to the LCD because I want to make a little backpack board with a choice of RS232, I2C, or SPI jumper selectable. I use I2C a lot more than RS232 and I have some good uses for an SPI device as well.

Thanks for the suggestion & the project examples. How did anyone *ever* learn to do this stuff before the 'net?

-- Dave W.

You could always build my cheap logic analyzer with a PIC.  ...

[right][post=7783]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

I had a look at your projects and then went to see what chips I had on hand. I don't have any 16F873's, though I do have 16F877's. I will pursue this further soon.

But I also saw your LCD solution using a 16F628. I did have some of those lying around, so I burned your code into one and hooked it up to my displays to see if I had some bad parts, of if I am just cursed. I did determine that one older surplus LCD was at at best marginal, but when I hooked up to my better ones they worked fine.

So your solution did at least give me confidence that my tools & parts are in spec, and whatever is bedeviling me is in the code. I would just do it your way, since it works well, but I want to use the 16F689 and a four bit interface to the LCD because I want to make a little backpack board with a choice of RS232, I2C, or SPI jumper selectable. I use I2C a lot more than RS232 and I have some good uses for an SPI device as well.

Thanks for the suggestion & the project examples. How did anyone *ever* learn to do this stuff before the 'net?

-- Dave W.

[right][post=7793]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

How did anyone *ever* learn to do this stuff before the 'net?

Before the net, there were excellent magazines whose staff did a lot of experimenting before publishing good, reliable reference projects - and yes, they were a sort of Bible for us. FIDOnet and BBS's worked well for peer exchange long before the 'net, too.

Anyway, datasheets and appnotes came as big sized books that you normally had to order by mail and pay, though. Under this documental respect, "modernity" is not totally bad and we can for once state that what came chronologically "after" can be identified as a "progress".

But this is not a general rule: many modern things are way far worse than they used to be in the past (see the VAX 11/785 and VMS, Amiga, MCI, the Atari ATW800, and even Clipper...).

Before the net we had to have a lot a patience and trial and error attitude. The design of experiments to trouble shoot problems was also an art praticed. Magazines and data sheets were all we had. So lots of double checking and sanity experiments were the key to sucess.

I soldered up my first computer using perf-board and point-to-point wire armed with a $20 logic probe, RCA 1802 data, CMOS and TTL data books and a Popular Electronics magazine back in 1977! It took nearly a month but I got it working.

// DB4-DB7 pin

Here is what I'm doing...

// RS  to RA0

// R/W to RA1

// E  to RA2

// DB0 to RC0

// DB1 to RC1

// DB2 to RC2

// DB3 to RC3

// DB4 (nc)

// DB5 (nc)

// DB6 (nc)

// DB7 (nc)

Carefuly read first quoted sentence from comment.. You have wrong connected LCD module to port. There is correct connection:

// RS to RA0

// R/W to RA1

// E to RA2

// DB0 to GND

// DB1 to GND

// DB2 to GND

// DB3 to GND

// DB4 to RC0

// DB5 to RC1

// DB6 to RC2

// DB7 to RC3

So i have one newbie question about LCD interfacing too. I have one equipment with LCD connected this way:

//RS to RB4

//E to RB5

//R/W to GND (since i use timing with delay, no reading from LCD required)

//RB0-RB3 are used for DB4-DB7

I hope that LCD library from boostC can be used with data and controls driven both from portB, because there is not possible to make any changes in HW design. Have anyone tried similar configuration? First tests look, that LCD is not initialised so there is something wrong..

Sample test code:

#pragma CLOCK_FREQ 20000000

#include <system.h>

#include "statusterm.h"

#define LCD_ARGS 1, /* Interface type: mode 0 = 8bit, 1 = 4bit(low nibble), 2 = 4bit(upper nibble) */ \

0, /* Use busy signal: 1 = use busy, 0 = use time delays */\

PORTB, TRISB, /* Data port and data port tris register */ \

PORTB, TRISB, /* Control port and control port tris register */ \

4, /* Bit number of control port is connected to RS */ \

6, /* Bit number of control port is connected to RW */ \

5 /* Bit number of control port is connected to Enable */

#include <lcd_driver.h> // include the LCD template code

#pragma DATA _CONFIG, _CP_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _WDT_OFF & _HS_OSC

void main()

{

trisb = 0;

portb = 0;

adcon1 = 00001110b;

lcd_setup();

while (1) {

lcd_clear();

delay_s(1);

lprintf( "Test" );

delay_s(1);

}

}

Thank you for ideas.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this