Sign in to follow this  
cmjones

Picant And Sourceboost On Same System?

Having just bought a license for the shiny new BoostC compiler, I now find that my old PicAnt IDE and C2Cplus (V5.22) doesn't work any more - it complains that my 'Temporary key has expired'. I've tried re-entering my permanent key and it doesn't work any more.

I have a large body of code which compiles with the old C2Cplus and I really, really don't want to port it to BoostC just yet if I can possibly help it: it's the sort of code which, if it contains an obscure bug, will cause hardware failures and product returns, which quickly gets expensive.

Is there a way of getting PicAnt/C2C and BoostC to coexist on the same system? Do I need a new license key?

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

If you install SourceBoost V5.9.7 (the last V5 release) in another directory (leaving your latest installation intact) you should find the your old key will work with it.

You can download it from the download page.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

There's just one remaining issue, which isn't a showstopper: my PicAnt/SourceBoost projects all live in fairly deep directory trees. PicAnt never used to complain about this, but now I get an error message after assembly:

Error[173] ..... : Source file path exceeds 62 characters (....)

I'm actually using gpasm as the assembler, and it quite happily produces a .HEX file which seems to work, but the process is marred by C2C claiming that it's failed!

Chris.

(Note from Dave - Sorry Chris I goofed up - I accidently answered by editing this post, I've put back what I can, thats the danger of having moderator power!)

Chris,

There's just one remaining issue, which isn't a showstopper: my PicAnt/SourceBoost projects all live in fairly deep directory trees. PicAnt never used to complain about this, but now I get an error message after assembly:

Error[173] ..... : Source file path exceeds 62 characters (....)

I'm actually using gpasm as the assembler, and it quite happily produces a .HEX file which seems to work, but the process is marred by C2C claiming that it's failed!

The file path length problem is to do with the debug file thats created. In the case of MPASM its a COD file, I guess GPASM is the same. This limitation is because when COD file format was designed many years ago, they only allowed maximum path lengths of 62 characters.

What this means is you won't be able to step and debug the code in SourceBoost Ide or MPLABs. If you want to do this reduce the path length to the project - move it to a folder off your root director before building the code.

BTW: BoostC compiler generates its output in COFF file format, so it doesn't suffer from this problem :(

Regards

Dave