What bootloader is the best and how to use it in Boostc? What about tiny PIC bootloader any experience?

Regards /Jörgen

It depends on your own rquirements. If you want a bootloader that you use when you have a PIC sitting next to the bootloader and you want to use a RS232 port and the only code you will load into the PIC is code you have developed yourself and you want to reprogram the entire PIC each time then the tiny bootloader works well. The tiny bootloader is very small - all the intelligence sits in the PC end.

If on the otherhand you want to:

1. Bootload remote systems (100s or 1000s of km away)

2. support incremental bootloading (ability to change as little as a single byte)

3. Use other physical media such as SPI, I2C, USB, Parallel, Ethernet ...

4. Use code compiled by others that is not bootloader aware

5. Have multiple target systems on a bus

6. Need to be able to program cascaded PICs (downstream from a master PIC)

7. bootload over multiple interfaces (RS232, RS485, USB....) simultaneously

8. bootload over a system other than a PC

Incremental bootloading enables you to patch an image, change a hardcoded parameter (such as serial number, baud rate, MAC address etc).

If you require these types of capabilities, then you need a different class of bootloader.

What bootloader is the best and how to use it in Boostc? What about tiny PIC bootloader any experience?

Regards /Jörgen

It depends on your own rquirements. If you want a bootloader that you use when you have a PIC sitting next to the bootloader and you want to use a RS232 port and the only code you will load into the PIC is code you have developed yourself and you want to reprogram the entire PIC each time then the tiny bootloader works well. The tiny bootloader is very small - all the intelligence sits in the PC end.

If on the otherhand you want to:

1. Bootload remote systems (100s or 1000s of km away)

2. support incremental bootloading (ability to change as little as a single byte)

3. Use other physical media such as SPI, I2C, USB, Parallel, Ethernet ...

4. Use code compiled by others that is not bootloader aware

5. Have multiple target systems on a bus

6. Need to be able to program cascaded PICs (downstream from a master PIC)

7. bootload over multiple interfaces (RS232, RS485, USB....) simultaneously

8. bootload over a system other than a PC

Incremental bootloading enables you to patch an image, change a hardcoded parameter (such as serial number, baud rate, MAC address etc).

If you require these types of capabilities, then you need a different class of bootloader.

I will only download own code but it will be done from a computer or a other PIC alike device(programmable GSM). What bootloader do you recommend?

Regards /Jörgen

I will only download own code but it will be done from a computer or a other PIC alike device(programmable GSM). What bootloader do you recommend?

Regards /Jörgen

I was not recommending one. Just pointing out some of the things that you should look for when selecting a bootloader. Once you want to program a PIC from a device other than a PC, then the tiny bootloader is no good for you. But if you can get away from this requirement and you do not need any other features I mentioned then it will be fine.

I have a bootloader that takes 256 words but runs way faster than the tiny bootloader and only programs memory locations that change and allows EEPROM to be written. It works fine with BoostC

http://www.geocities.com/ted_rossin/Electronics/Pic/Pic.html

Scroll down to All Projects then click the link Serial Port Pic Boot Programmer

I claim it is faster because I send binary data instead of ASCII.

Regards /Jörgen

I was not recommending one. Just pointing out some of the things that you should look for when selecting a bootloader. Once you want to program a PIC from a device other than a PC, then the tiny bootloader is no good for you. But if you can get away from this requirement and you do not need any other features I mentioned then it will be fine.

What bootloader do you use if I can ask?

Regards /Jörgen

Regards /Jörgen

What bootloader do you use if I can ask?

Regards /Jörgen

Obvioulsy my signature went AWOL otherwise you would not have needed to ask :-)

I use my own. I have different types of bootloaders depending on the technology (Ethernet, SPI, Serial, USB etc). Whenever I start a major project the first thing I do is develop a bootloader tailored for the application.

Edited by asmallri