Serial_test.c Baud Rate Change

Now that I have serial_test example running (thanks Dave) I find that changing the bit_rate defined in main doesn't change the baud rate when I program the chip with the new .hex file.

Now what have I screwed up?

ryeg,

Now that I have serial_test example running (thanks Dave) I find that changing the bit_rate defined in main doesn't change the baud rate when I program the chip with the new .hex file.

You haven't rebuilt the project or haven't reloaded the new .hex file into your programming software I would guess, so you are programming with the old code.

Regards

Dave

ryeg,

You haven't rebuilt the project or haven't reloaded the new .hex file into your programming software I would guess, so you are programming with the old code.

Regards

Dave

If you use the h/w UART you have to change parameters in uart_init function, the bit_time is irrelevant in this case.

It must be something I don't understand about the compiler...

I build example serial_test with bit_time defined at one rate and then rename the serial_test.hex file to ref.hex.

Then I change the bit_time define to a much larger new number and build again getting a new serial_test.hex file.

Then I do a DOS FC and COMP on the two files and they both still look the same.

I thought that bit_time might be defined again elsewhere in the code but couldn't find it.

Is there a hot key for find? or a find again function?

Otherwise I am having fun.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Ryeg

More data on the bit_time problem in the serial_test program

I commented out the define and put bit_time in as a volatile int. Got a change in code size and could see (same) bit width on scope. Then changed value of bit_time and still get the same bit width on the scope.

Just in case it was a programmer problem, I loaded a known good program, tested it, and then reloaded serial_test successfully.

Thanks for your help.\

Rye

SOLVED

The example program covers both hardware and software USARTs. The bit_time define that I was manipulating sets the software baudrate. Since it appears as if the Hardware UART is being used, the hardware baudrate is set down in main() as part of the uart_init function.

I'm still not sure what sets the test for HW or SW, but I will wade thru the code and am sure I will find it.

As a helpful (constructive) aside, I think that the examples provided are sometimes a bit more complicated for the new user that they might be. A really simple Hello World might be helpful.

I find that if I bang my head against the wall enough I finally discover the answer.... pass the asprin.

As a helpful (constructive) aside, I think that the examples provided are sometimes a bit more complicated for the new user that they might be.  A really simple Hello World might be helpful.

But how do you output HelloWorld without a serial port or an LCD?

I find that if I bang my head against the wall enough I finally discover the answer.... pass the asprin.

Hey, stop giving away professional secrets!