Sign in to follow this  
DTPIC

Is Boostc 18f Compile Incremental?

Hi,

can you tell me if the BoostC 18F compile is "incremental" (ie, only re-compiles changed source files)? It seems to take the same amount of time to compile regardless of what \ how many source files in the project are changed, and the compiler also lists <all> the source files in the project in the output window as it works through them...

I did see a reference to this in a 2004\5 post, suggesting that the incremental feature had been added, but I am not sure if the response was for 16F only...

( I am using BoostC V6.60...)

Hi,

can you tell me if the BoostC 18F compile is "incremental" (ie, only re-compiles changed source files)?

Yes it is incremental if you build the project under the SourceBoost IDE, and hence use the supplied make system.

Regards

Dave

Think Ive got 2 problems...

First, I thought that the "compile" option was the incremental compile of editied source files....

Second, I thought that the "Build" option was a complete buld of all source files - seems that <this> is the incremental option, as it generates a new "makefile.gen" when used...

I think the terminology may be different in Microsoft Visual Studio? This may be where my confusion comes from...

The "build" option has shown up another problem - it says

Building...

FATAL: Don't know how to make: D:\Sourceboost\My

Done

I think its because I have some path names with embedded spaces, (eg "D:\Sourceboost\My Lib Functions...", as above) which require quotes around them - I have looked in the makefile.gen, and the use of quotes around such pathnames seems to be 'unpredictable' - also notice that the file paths and names in project.__c do not have quotes around them....

Should I be declaring the path\filenames in some other way to get around this, or is this an issue? Can I 'fudge' it temporarily by manually editing the project.__c file to include quotes around the paths?

Thanks!

Think Ive got 2 problems...

First, I thought that the "compile" option was the incremental compile of editied source files....

Second, I thought that the "Build" option was a complete buld of all source files - seems that <this> is the incremental option, as it generates a new "makefile.gen" when used...

I think the terminology may be different in Microsoft Visual Studio? This may be where my confusion comes from...

The  "build" option has shown up another problem - it says

Building...

FATAL: Don't know how to make: D:\Sourceboost\My

Done

I think its because I have some path names with embedded spaces, (eg "D:\Sourceboost\My Lib Functions...", as above) which require quotes around them - I have looked in the makefile.gen, and the use of quotes around such pathnames seems to be 'unpredictable' - also notice that the file paths and names in project.__c do not have quotes around them....

Should I be declaring the path\filenames in some other way to get around this, or is this an issue? Can I 'fudge' it temporarily by manually editing the project.__c file to include quotes around the paths?

Thanks!

This is an issue for many compilers. They do not understand spaces in file/path names.

It is an efficency issue for the most part, to handle spaces the full path would have to be

changed to hex values and then every line checked for extra spaces/newlines/returns at

the end. Why MS ever allowed file/pathnames with spaces is beyond me, it is the only OS

to ever do so.

Btw you are aware that there is a path length limit under MPLab right? i do not know if this

is the case under SourceBoost or not. ... The length limit for MPLab is the same as DOS,

this is a legacy issue with MPLab from when it was first created in/for the DOS shell.

You probably did not want to hear any of tha ... :(