Sign in to follow this  
mramos

New To Boostbasic

I have been using MikroBASIC, it is works OK for me (free version with 2K of code is plenty). I can not justify the $250 for the registered MikroBASIC.

Now I found BoostBASIC. I pulled it and wrote a quick ADC program for the 16F88. All went well the first time (scary). I have not burned a chip or debug yet..

I have a couple questions:

1) What will be the price range for the product? As I am a hobby type, I do not want to

pay $200US+ $50-100 is fair for hobbyist I would think.

2) Will it be continued? I see the forum is lite on posts. Maybe it just works that good, it did for me.

3) I want to use MPLABS to debug and the ICD2. Is there a way to have the BoostBASIC program lines commented and placed the .ASM or .LST files? MikroBASIC does this and that is how I debug the programs in MPLABS.

So far I like it a lot (maybe a shortcut to compile; mind you I just pulled it and still reading). Please let me know the details. And keep up the great work.

mramos,

I have been using MikroBASIC, it is works OK for me (free version with 2K of code is plenty).  I can not justify the $250 for the registered MikroBASIC. 

Now I found BoostBASIC.  I pulled it and wrote a quick ADC program for the 16F88.  All went well the first time (scary).  I have not burned a chip or debug yet..

I have a couple questions:

1) What will be the price range for the product?  As I am a hobby type, I do not want to

pay $200US+   $50-100 is fair for hobbyist I would think.

The pricing structure will be as per the BoostC compiler (although I must admit this is not yet full decided), so you can expect to pay around $70 for a Full license (all deivices, unlimited code and RAM use, non-commercial).

2) Will it be continued?  I see the forum is lite on posts.  Maybe it just works that good, it did for me.
We have no plans to discontinue it. The BoostBasic product is comparively new for us, we have been producing C Compilers for quite a few years; hence why the "C programming with BoostC and C2C compilers" has got so many more posts.

Just recently I have been looking at implementing Novo RTOS with BoostBasic and that work is looking promising. BoostBasic is not as popular as BoostC, so it gets much less of our time.

3) I want to use MPLABS to debug and the ICD2.  Is there a way to have the BoostBASIC program lines commented and placed the .ASM or .LST files?  MikroBASIC does this and that is how I debug the programs in MPLABS.
The CASM file contains a mixture of C and ASM. Have a look in there.

You should be able to source level debug BoostBasic under MPLAB as the output debug file is COFF same as with BoostC.

So far I like it a lot (maybe a shortcut to compile; mind you I just pulled it and still reading).  Please let me know the details.  And keep up the great work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Dave

Well, the clear_bit did not work, nor the set_bit once I commented out clear_bit and compiled again :P

I will check the examples, and see if there are set and clear in there.

Man having the BASIC lines in the actual ASM file as comment would be a darn nice feature, but I can live with the CASM list file, I do that now with Mikro.. Maybe I can write a program to convert the CASM or mod the ASM from the CASM. That is the one feature I have really looked for.

It would be neat to load .ASM in MPLABs, run and debug then gen the HEX file from there or Boost. I normally include my lib files as they are small and rare so linker would be an option for me.

I like your price for sure. I own PicBASIC (hate it, no if else endif and I will not buy the pro at $200) and also I own MBASIC Pro (bloat city).. I did not do my homework for sure on them. You guys make it simple, here it is try it out. Mind you a language ref would help ;)

Edited by mramos