Sign in to follow this  
wallism

Compiler 6.60 Crash On Win2k And Pic18f Devices

App: SourceBoost IDE Version 6.60 (OK on 6.55)

License: Full

Target: PIC18F252/18F452/18F8722 (OK with 16F devices)

Steps: Using any source file, select target 18Fxxxx and click Build or Compile.

Almost immediate OS error message "Error: Access violation at <address>"

Reproducible: Yes 100%

Code snippet (any code at all)

#include <system.h>
void main(void)	{
porta = 0;
}

Can you confirm that this is the compiler who crashes and not the ide. If anybody else has similar problem please report in this thread.

Regards,

Pavel

I just tried installing 6.60 on another Windows 2000 machine. This time Preg failed to add the PIC18 license key. Similar "Access violation" message. Once again the PIC16 part of the operation was OK.

wallism,

I just tried installing 6.60 on another Windows 2000 machine. This time Preg failed to add the PIC18 license key. Similar "Access violation" message. Once again the PIC16 part of the operation was OK.

I have a Windows 2000 Installation (on a test machine) and its working just fine. Both BoostC PIC16 and PIC18 compilers register and compile.

BTW: What anti-virus software are you using?

If you can disable anti-virus software for a while and then re-try the installation.

Regards

Dave

One PC has Norton AntiVirus 2006. I switched it off, reinstalled SourceBoost and have the same problem. The other test PC has no antivirus.

I really want to use all the fabulous string handling functions in 6.60. Can I just unzip the libs and headers and leave the exe's alone?

Please don't make me give Microsoft any more of my money for an upgrade.

wallism,

I really want to use all the fabulous string handling functions in 6.60. Can I just unzip the libs and headers and leave the exe's alone?

Which version SourceBoost package version are you currently using ??

There is a high a chance of some compatibility issues with older versions.

There is no reason why BoostC should not work Win2k . Our testing has been done using Win2k with IE5.0, SP4 installed.

Regards

Dave

I have been using the following versions, all of which upgraded without problem:

6.55, 6.50, 6.40, 6.35, 6.32, 6.31, 6.30, 6.25, 6.14, 6.11, 6.04

I usually install over the old version OK. This time I also tried removing using control panel then installing. Nothing helps.

If it didn't work at all that would perhaps be simpler. But because PIC16 devices are OK I can only think it is boostc.pic18.exe causing the problem.

I have been using the following versions, all of which upgraded without problem:

6.55, 6.50, 6.40, 6.35, 6.32, 6.31, 6.30, 6.25, 6.14, 6.11, 6.04

I usually install over the old version OK. This time I also tried removing using control panel then installing. Nothing helps.

It sounds rather strange.

It sounds like boostc.pic18.exe has become corrupted.

Try running boostc.pic18.exe from the command line.

Regards

Dave

I did, it crashed!

boostc.pic18.exe 1.50 MB (1,581,056 bytes)

I have now copied boostc.pic18.exe from 6.55 and it works OK with the 6.60 package. Can you see any problems with this approach?

I did, it crashed!

boostc.pic18.exe 1.50 MB (1,581,056 bytes)

I have now copied boostc.pic18.exe from 6.55 and it works OK with the 6.60 package. Can you see any problems with this approach?

Not really, but this combination of compiler, linker and libraries have not been tested togther so there could be some problem.

Please try running the boostc.pic18.exe file on the other Win2k system you have access to. If it crashes please send the .exe to support@sourceboost.com for examination.

Regards

Dave

Yes, it crashes on both W2K systems. You may be interested to know that boostlink.pic.exe is OK too.

boostc.pic18.exe also crashes in safe mode.

I downloaded from the zip and exe and I tried several times. File boostc.pic18.exe mailed as requested.

wallism,

Yes, it crashes on both W2K systems. You may be interested to know that boostlink.pic.exe is OK too.

boostc.pic18.exe also crashes in safe mode.

I downloaded from the zip and exe and I tried several times. File boostc.pic18.exe mailed as requested.

The .exe file you sent is not corrupted. There must be something about your systems enviroments that causes the crash.

Regards

Dave

OK, I have invested a lot of time on this now.

I rebuilt a Windows 2000 box, updated to SP4 - SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

Interestingly I then created a local user in addition to administrator and it works OK when logged in as that user. It looks like I now have a (painful) way to move forward with this.

wallism,

I rebuilt a Windows 2000 box, updated to SP4 - SAME PROBLEM!!!!!
Ug.

Interestingly I then created a local user in addition to administrator and it works OK when logged in as that user.

So are you saying that logging on as administrator causes the problem?

What privileges did you give to this new user?

Regards

Dave

wallism,

The problem went away when I installed 6.70. I changed nothing else on my system.
I have now seen this in a Win2k installation. Its seem to only happens with some activation keys that work OK when then used on WinXP.

Regards

Dave