Sign in to follow this  
ra68gi

16 Bit Pic Micro Support ?

Hi Dave & Pavel,

Is there any plans of coming out with a compiler for the 16 bit / dsp PIC micros?

Regards

Raghunathan

Is there any plans of coming out with a compiler for the 16 bit / dsp PIC micros?

We do plan this but it won't happen soon.

Regards,

Pavel

Is there really a need?

The Microchip compiler for these devices is GCC based and opensource...

Is there really a need?

Hi emte,

I think the cost of C30 compiler from MicroChip for PIC24 & dspic is around $750.

Regards

Raghunathan.

Edited by ra68gi

That would be only if you intend to write commercial programs or needed the extra optimization,

otherwise its a full compiler.

And anything under $1k is a reasonable price if your making money off your code, especially

when it comes to DSP.

That would be only if you intend to write commercial programs or needed the extra optimization,

otherwise its a full compiler.

And anything under $1k is a reasonable price if your making money off your code, especially

when it comes to DSP.

emte's argument would mean that as soon as one tool is available for something, no one else should bother making one. We'd still be in the stoneage, with chipped-flint axe heads!

John

Incorrect, what i said was that for most people and opensource, the limited compiler works just fine

and that any license under $1k is reasonable for commercial (for profit) usage.

As well, using a heavily mantained parent like GCC means there are less problems with long term

support and migration. Why reinvent the wheel if you already have a round rim and the rubber?

emte's argument would mean that as soon as one tool is available for something, no one else should bother making one. We'd still be in the stoneage, with chipped-flint axe heads!

John

Is there really a need?

Hi emte,

I think the cost of C30 compiler from MicroChip for PIC24 & dspic is around $750.

Regards

Raghunathan.

Really?I think the cost of c3o compiler from Microchip for PIC24 & dspic is around $600 nowdays if you are right! :(

Incorrect, what i said was that for most people and opensource, the limited compiler works just fine

and that any license under $1k is reasonable for commercial (for profit) usage.

As well, using a heavily mantained parent like GCC means there are less problems with long term

support and migration. Why reinvent the wheel if you already have a round rim and the rubber?

John

Reinvent the wheel? That is a commonly quoted glib phrase, and of course can reinvention can only be done by someone who doesn't know the wheel exists already. In which case, of course, it's not re-invention for _them_, but possibly an act of genius. The wheel is frequently _redesigned_, however, and there are many manufacturers even of very similar wheels.

Regards

Is there really a need?

I gathered from forum posts that Microchip libraries and/or header files are proprietary and you need them to make everything work.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this