Sign in to follow this  
gviaud

16 Bit operations and Time of execution

I am writing some very time-critical code (all loops must execute in the same amount of the all the time) and am using 16bit variables.  I am noticing diferentials in the loops and think this is due to the 16bit math and logic.  Does anyone know if the 16bit math takes different amounts of time depending on carry or not etc?  Also, does the 16bit logic take different amounts of time?  I dread writing my own 16bit math and logic but will do so if I must.

Thanks,

George

Guest GViaud

I realize after reading this a day later that it does not make much sence....  Let me rephrase with an example.

If I add two variables together, lets say one 8 bit variable added to a 16bit variable, does the add opperation always take the same amount of instructions (time)?  Example:

char num8bit;

short num16bit;

num16bit = 10;

num8bit = 10;

num16bit += num8bit;  // This takes "X" amount of time

num16bit = 250;

num8bit = 10;

num16bit += num8bit; // This takes "Y" amount of time

Does X = Y?  In example 2, a carry took place.

Also, does the logic vary depending on time?

Example:

num16bit = 100;

if (num16bit > 100) // This takes X amount of time

{

}

num16bit = 1000;

if (num16bit > 1000) // this takex Y amount of time

{

}

Again... does X always = Y?

Thanks Pavel.

Let me know

Guest Pavel
If I add two variables together, lets say one 8 bit variable added to a 16bit variable, does the add opperation always take the same amount of instructions (time)?

The answer is no. The number of instructions executed in the same expression but with different values may be different. This happens more often in conditional expressions because sometimes there is no need to execute all instructions in an expression when the result is already known. A simplified example can be a comparison of 8 and 16 bit variables. If hight byte of the 16 bit variable isn't zero there is no need to compare low bytes as it's already known that 16bit variable contains bigger value.

Regards,

Pavel