RSABear

Post Sample Hobby Type Projects

Hi all,

As a suggestion, why don't we post some sample hobby projects for fun? Anything you have constructed and have running with the help of the SourceBoost compilers. Large or small, even if the write-up is not that hot and your code hangs together with comments and duck-tape.

Yip - Now that is what I am reffering to.

Hey trossin, you have an "IEC" - An Improvised Electronic Clock, as it is a clock constructed from all sorts.

I have a 3 LED PWM Tourch (12F675) that shows how you can control the brightness of LEDs in BoostC with very simple code. Then I have a 5-digit counter circuit "Hammie_2" (16F627) that is currently connected to a Hamster wheel that shows eeprom, interrupt routines, switches and multiplexing 7-segment displays - also BoostC. Just completed the IR TX and RX sections of my (16F887 + DS1307) 7-Segment X-tra large 4" clock. Hope to get it functional in the next 2 months - I'm working on electronics only part time. The code is also BoostC, because I don't want to code in anything else... OK - the IR TX code is in asm, because I got it on the web and it is so neat that it is not worth the rewrite.

Anyone else?

Here's one that I haven't built personally, but lots of others have.

See this site .. http://electronics-diy.com/lc_meter.php ... or else Google for "LC meter".

An LC meter measures values of inductors (coils/chokes - in microHenries) and capacitance (of capacitors).

Useful if you are into electronics or ham radio, or just want to check some part values.

This circuit has been around for years, and is still being sold in kit form by various suppliers.

Most are still using a 16F84A, and most recent talk is about upgrading to a 16F628 (Wow!) ... so that the LM311 comparator that drives the oscillator can be replaced with the comparator on the 16F628. The unit has some limitations in the range of values it can measure because the frequency counter routine runs out of steam when it fills the 24-bit variables they use.

(Recall that we have 32-bit longs in BoostC!!)

I have a couple of 18F4520's (40-pin) burning a hole in my pocket and am fiddling with this design at present with the idea of using one of these or the smaller 25-pin 18F2520 version. The 4520 does 40MHz with lots of memory and it's own comparator, voltage reference ladder and counters.

I think that it would be relatively trivial to add frequency measurement as well, making it a multi-purpose and quite useful instrument (You could check that unmarked crystal that you snipped out of the TV you junked, and maybe use it on your next Pic project).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.