Sign in to follow this  
fred

Linker Options

When I link my project in sourceboost it links succesfull with still remaining 3 free bytes for code (..:) )

When I link the same thing within the MPLAB it fails

"Too much code to fit in ROM, overfilled by:27 locations."

I copied the linker options from the sourceboost IDE in MPLAB IDE. When I look at the linker execution lines sourceboost added extra options however which probably causes extra optimization when linking.

any ideas??

(to be sure it's the linker I first did a complete build of the project in MPLAB IDE and the relinked from within sourceboost IDE)

linker execution line in sourceboost IDE

"C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic16.lib DAC.obj DAC_DEVICE.obj DAC_LPH7779.obj FR_EEPROM.obj FR_LIB.obj LCD_LPH7779.obj clock.obj sTimer.obj /t PIC16F648A /d "G:\development\DAC Control" /p DAC -swcs 6 2 
BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 6.84

linker execution line mplab IDE

Executing: "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe"  "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC_LPH7779.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\FR_EEPROM.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\FR_LIB.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\LCD_LPH7779.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\sTimer.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\clock.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC_DEVICE.obj" "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\Lib\libc.pic16.lib" -O1  -p "DAC" -t 16F648A -swcs 6 2 

the -O1 option was already there, I added the -swcs 6 2

When I link my project in sourceboost it links succesfull with still remaining 3 free bytes for code (.. :) )

When I link the same thing within the MPLAB it fails

"Too much code to fit in ROM, overfilled by:27 locations."

I copied the linker options from the sourceboost IDE in MPLAB IDE. When I look at the linker execution lines sourceboost added extra options however which probably causes extra optimization when linking.

any ideas??

(to be sure it's the linker I first did a complete build of the project in MPLAB IDE and the relinked from within sourceboost IDE)

linker execution line in sourceboost IDE

"C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\lib" libc.pic16.lib DAC.obj DAC_DEVICE.obj DAC_LPH7779.obj FR_EEPROM.obj FR_LIB.obj LCD_LPH7779.obj clock.obj sTimer.obj /t PIC16F648A /d "G:\development\DAC Control" /p DAC -swcs 6 2 

linker execution line mplab IDE

Executing: "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\boostlink.pic.exe"  "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC_LPH7779.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\FR_EEPROM.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\FR_LIB.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\LCD_LPH7779.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\sTimer.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\clock.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC.obj" "G:\development\DAC Control\DAC_DEVICE.obj" "C:\Program Files\SourceBoost\Lib\libc.pic16.lib" -O1  -p "DAC" -t 16F648A -swcs 6 2 

the -O1 option was already there, I added the -swcs 6 2

The final binary is affected by the order the modules are linked together in because that affects their placement in memory, and hence may cause some jumps to cross code page boundaries. The order the modules are linked under MPLAB is different to that under SourceBoost IDE.

Regards

Dave

Does that mean that there is an order of optimum module placement? It would be nice if there was a compile option which could iterate the run a number of times to discover which would be best.