Sign in to follow this  
crash_n_burn

External Memory

I designed a system with a PIC18F6720. The program memory is full at 128K. My customer still want to add features and stuff. I'm thinking about designing a new system with a PIC18F8720 with external 2Mb memory so I can have some room to work. I could take my 6720 code modif it and move it to the 8720 without starting from scratch.

Do I have to specify to BoostC that I'm using external memory ? I know I have to set the fuses correctly in the PIC but am I going to have an error message in BoostC when the internal prog memory is full ? I know some people are using this configuration, I have done a search in the forum with the string "external memory". Anybody got hints on this ? I don't want to buy another compiler, BoostC works very well for me.

Thank you.

Do I have to specify to BoostC that I'm using external memory ? I know I have to set the fuses correctly in the PIC but am I going to have an error message in BoostC when the internal prog memory is full ? I know some people are using this configuration, I have done a search in the forum with the string "external memory". Anybody got hints on this ? I don't want to buy another compiler, BoostC works very well for me.
The memory range for a given target is specified in the appropriate targets .TDF file. You can edit this file, then BoostC will allow you to use more memory. So you will then be able to compile larger programs.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Dave