Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Christ

Source Boost Ide Building

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way in the SourceBoost IDE to launch a script that runs before building that generates a header file with infomation from my subversion repository.

It's a piece of cake to do this from a command line build, but we like using the IDE.

Jacob Christ

Currently this is not possible. (The only and bulky workaround I can think of is to rename compiler and create an executable that will have the compiler name and will start needed script and than the renamed compiler) We will add the feature to our work program. I guess that you also want to pass some command line arguments to such script. What are these?

Regards,

Pavel

Currently this is not possible. (The only and bulky workaround I can think of is to rename compiler and create an executable that will have the compiler name and will start needed script and than the renamed compiler) We will add the feature to our work program. I guess that you also want to pass some command line arguments to such script. What are these?

Nope, don't need to pass parameters, but it would be nice to have the option... I just have a little program that generates a header file with information I get from shelling svnversion. This allows us to seen in the the target device what commit of code is running in the device and weather the code has been modified since last check in.

I like the compiler rename hack, may have to do it to keep things straight.

Jacob

Hey, just had another idea. It would be nice to launch a post link executable as well. We want to wrap our .hex files in an xml file with infomation about the processor type and platform that the code is for so that our bootloader can be configured correctly and not accidentally try to upload code to an incompatible board. We could do this in an automated fashion with and tie subversion information right into the xml file at the same time.

Jacob

Regards,

Pavel

I'll vote for this feature as well.

It would be really neat to be able to run a script (eg, perl) to calculate a bunch of stuff based on the compilation, eg baud rate SPBRG values etc based on the clock frequency, pic type, etc. So passing the target, clock frequency, project directory would be good.

While I'm at it, does anyone know how to get hold of the current clock frequency in #defines?

eg,

#pragma CLOCK_FREQ 8000000

- is the 8000000 available as a #define anywhere?

regards

Ian.

Along this line of thoughts, the Metrowerks compiler I work with for the Motorola DSP568xx has a nice feature of doing a -D on the command line that allows passing a #define at compile time.

This would have also worked for passing in a string that I want compiled in that changes due to version control commits.

Jacob

I'll vote for this feature as well.

It would be really neat to be able to run a script (eg, perl) to calculate a bunch of stuff based on the compilation, eg baud rate SPBRG values etc based on the clock frequency, pic type, etc. So passing the target, clock frequency, project directory would be good.

While I'm at it, does anyone know how to get hold of the current clock frequency in #defines?

eg,

#pragma CLOCK_FREQ 8000000

- is the 8000000 available as a #define anywhere?

regards

Ian.

Along this line of thoughts, the Metrowerks compiler I work with for the Motorola DSP568xx has a nice feature of doing a -D on the command line that allows passing a #define at compile time....

BoostC does this as well trough its -d command line argument (take a look at compiler command line chapter in BoostC help). We also like the idea to have pre/post build scripts launched from IDE. I look at this and will try to have it done by the next release.

Regards,

Pavel

Along this line of thoughts, the Metrowerks compiler I work with for the Motorola DSP568xx has a nice feature of doing a -D on the command line that allows passing a #define at compile time....

BoostC does this as well trough its -d command line argument (take a look at compiler command line chapter in BoostC help). We also like the idea to have pre/post build scripts launched from IDE. I look at this and will try to have it done by the next release.

Post- and pre-build steps are now implemented in our working ide copy and will be available in the next release. It will work like this: when build command is issued IDE first looks in the project directory for a file called prebuild.bat and if found executes it. At the end of a successful build IDE looks in the project directory for a file called postbuild.bat and if found executes it. It's up to a developer to create those files. If such files don't exist build goes how it used to do.

Regards,

Pavel

Post- and pre-build steps are now implemented in our working ide copy and will be available in the next release. It will work like this: when build command is issues IDE first looks in the project directory for a file called prebuild.bat and if found executes it. At the end of a successful build IDE looks in the project directory for a file called postbuild.bat and if found executes it. It's up to a developer to create those files. If such file don't exist build goes how it used to do.

Regards,

Pavel

Drooling in anticipation.

Jacob