Paolino

Instruction Set Extension And Indexed Addressing Mode

Dear all,

I was going mad for the following experience which I share with you, maybe someone can find out the reason.

Simple project: I needed to drive a 2x16 LCD and included lcd_driver.h. The PIC is a PIC18F2520, so I took care with PORTB analog settings, since PORTB is used to drive LCD.

The PIC correctly runs with its internal RC-oscillator, at 8MHz.

The problem comes out with a CONFIGURATION BIT: I decided to use the extended instruction set of that PIC, so I wrote:

#pragma DATA	_CONFIG4L, _STVREN_OFF_4L & _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_ON_4L & _DEBUG_OFF_4L

but the LCD did not show anything! I explored all the possible roads: hardware fail, wrong connections, oscillator configuration, etc. Then I decided to try to switch-off the extended set instruction:

#pragma DATA	_CONFIG4L, _STVREN_OFF_4L & _LVP_OFF_4L & _XINST_OFF_4L & _DEBUG_OFF_4L

and the LCD works!

I can not figure out why, maybe Pavel and/or Dave can give us a good explanation of that trouble.

Thank you.

Paolo.

The LCD library is probably compiled without the extended instruction set.

It is not usually recommended to mix standard and extended instrustion as standard instructions can be interpreted differently in extended mode.

Read the extended instruction section of the pic manual for a fuller explanation.

If you have the LCD library source code you can always try recompiling though I am not sure if BoostC supports extended mode.

Cheers

Reynard

The BoostC compiler does not currently support PIC18 Extended instructions.

Regards

Dave

The BoostC compiler does not currently support PIC18 Extended instructions.

Regards

Dave

Thank you, Dave. I promise I won't use XINT_ON till you have not implemented them :( I do not want anymore troubles with extended instruction set :huh:

Cheers.

Paolo.