Boostc And Pickit 2 Programmer

Anyone having problems programming with latest software version of PICkit 2 (v2.55.01).

I have been using PicKit v2.40 with BoostC 6.90 to program PIC 16 and 18 devices without problem.

I recently upgraded to v2.55.01 and programming fails. I get the following warning in the PICKit 2 application when programming a PIC 16 device (16F88):

Warning: Some configuration words not in hex file. Ensure default values above right are acceptable.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The PIC16F88 has two config words, CONFIG1 and CONFIG2. You probably have only define CONFIG1 and BoostC will have only produces a single word at address 2007.

It is possible that the new PICKit code looks for both words (2007 and 2008) in the hex file hence the warning.

Try setting the CONFIG2 in your source and see if the warning goes away. If you are happy with the default values offered by PICkit then just accept them.

I don't have a PICkit so just having a stab at replying with an idea.

Cheers

Reynard

According to this post on the microchip forum, it's not a bug, it's a feature :) .

This is merely a warning, and it simply provides information to the user that some of configuration words are not defined in the hex file and defaults will be used. Functionally, this is not different from previous versions. In previous versions, it just didn't warn you and defaults were just used.

So, there is no new problem. The software is just providing you with additional information. If you did not need to import/export in previous versions, you do not need to do it now. If you were fine in previous versions not knowing that some config words were defaulting, then you can just ignore the warning.

There is no reason this should prevent you from programming any devices

Seriously, you're just seeing a warning that they didn't give before; it's a warning and you can just ignore it if you like and programming should proceed as before.

It was the 2nd config word which was not defined. Sloppy coding!!

After defining both config words it worked like a charm.

Interesting that it worked with the previous version of Pickit - the strict check must also alter the way it programmes the device as compared to the older version of PicKit software.

Thanks for your assistance.

I've just got myself a Pickit 2, and must say I'm somewhat underwhelmed.

The product itself works great, but you would think a product targeted at developers would not have so many issues which, in my opinion, seem to be the direct result of what can best be described as lazy programming.

For example, I at least expect the kit to store the settings from the last time it was used - eg. no eeprom write, and to have the curtsey to show me the name of the hex file loaded.

Anyway, rant over.

My question is can anyone tell me the command line to use to run the programmer from within BoostC? I didn't see it in the list.

I've figured you have to use a separate batch process, with the path extended just for that dumb file (more lazy coding), but I still cannot get it to work.

If you (or anyone) figures this out let me know

MLAB has the programming features available within the MLAB GUI. However, MLAB may simply have a version of the PICKit programming applicaiton embedded in it.

I've just got myself a Pickit 2, and must say I'm somewhat underwhelmed.

The product itself works great, but you would think a product targeted at developers would not have so many issues which, in my opinion, seem to be the direct result of what can best be described as lazy programming.

For example, I at least expect the kit to store the settings from the last time it was used - eg. no eeprom write, and to have the curtsey to show me the name of the hex file loaded.

Anyway, rant over.

My question is can anyone tell me the command line to use to run the programmer from within BoostC? I didn't see it in the list.

I've figured you have to use a separate batch process, with the path extended just for that dumb file (more lazy coding), but I still cannot get it to work.

If you go to "Settings - Options - Tools", you can insert the path and filename for the programmer you want to use.

e.g. C:\Program Files\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2\PICkit2V2.exe

If you press the "Set Default" button, then when you press the fancy P button on the toolbar it will call up the programmer for you.

The name of the source (hex) file is on the main programmer screen next to the label "Source:". You will obviously have to import your hex file using the File menu.

Cheers

Reynard

If you go to "Settings - Options - Tools", you can insert the path and filename for the programmer you want to use.

e.g. C:\Program Files\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2\PICkit2V2.exe

Hi Reynard

I tried that, but it does not work - I get the message Device file PK2DeviceFile .dat not found. Using the Microchip batch process (pk2cmd.exe with the PATH defined) fixes that, but it obviously needs some specific command line arguments to work properly, which I still can't fathom.

I see the Source: field now though, so that's at least something. I was expecting to see the filename in the main message window.

I Use AutoPicKit:

C:\Archivos de programa\SourceBoost\AutoPicKit.exe %name%.hex

It works great, mine it's been modified to look for PICkit2V2.exe on "C:\Archivos de programa\Microchip\PICkit 2 v2\" (spanish XP)

Get it at:

http://www.timothyweber.org/autopickit

Edited by Carnage