Sign in to follow this  
russ_hensel

Truckload Of Requests

I usually believe that when you ask a question or pose a request that you do so one at a time. However my singly requested change was greeted with no response so collecting them together cannot have worse results. So here they are. Perhaps we should all comment on each others requests to indicated support among the BoostC users?

Several of the requests are phrased as “Allow as options:” for those people who would prefer the current behavior.

In no particular order

=================================

Plugin Enhancement

Allow multiple instances of the plugins, sometimes 8 led's is not enough

Led block and Switch block Plugin Enhancement

Allow as options:

Vertical layout of the leds and buttons to make better use of window real estate.

Default label with the bit position 0 to 7

Watch block binary display option Enhancement

Allow as options:

Display of binary numbers always showing all 8 bits, that is do not suppress leading 0's. This will make it easier to track changes in particular bits.

Block Comment

Block comment by; using // on every line in the block, separate command to uncomment block. Have it sensitive only to // in col 1 and 2. This could be an option in addition to the current block comment. This type of comment is easier to add and delete selected blocks of code than the /* */ style.

Go To Subroutine ( by double clicking in Browse window ) Enhancement

Allow as options:

Have to go to move the first line of the subroutine with the subroutine scrolled to the top of the editing window – in the current implementation it often is scrolled to the bottom of the window so that most of the routine is out of sight below the window.

Done Success and Failure messages Enhancement

Add to the done message what is done as “done compiling”, “done linking”, failure linking.....

Debugging Enhancement

Make green bar go away or change color when code is not stopped, ie running.

How about a Wiki for Source Boost? If no response here, perhaps I can carve out some space on Open Circuits http://www.opencircuits.com/Main_Page

russ_hensel

I usually believe that when you ask a question or pose a request that you do so one at a time. However my singly requested change was greeted with no response so collecting them together cannot have worse results. So here they are. Perhaps we should all comment on each others requests to indicated support among the BoostC users?

Several of the requests are phrased as “Allow as options:” for those people who would prefer the current behavior.

In no particular order

Some good ideas, certainly not ignored.

Regards

Dave

Thanks, sorry for being testy, I know you are working hard and have a alreay great product. No need to reply to this.

russ_hensel

In no particular order

Regards

Dave

I don't think my suggestion deserves a thread by itself so I'll throw it in here, but there's a feature in CrimsonEditor (a text editor) that would be very convenient for SourceBoost. It enables typing the same text in multiple lines at once, so in a few words it's a long cursor. It would be very handy if you are defining variables with similar base names but different suffixes. See screen shot for what I mean... I'm defining integers called PortAInput# but all seven variables are being typed at the same time. Snapshots A, B, C and D are taken at different times during the typing. Sure you have to add the end numbers individually yourself but it's alright.

post-3919-1231594438_thumb.png

I wrote a program to do something similar before whose source I can make available to you if it would be a good plugin by its own right. I dunno. Screenshot can be found here, and if you feel you can trust this exe the program can be found here.

I too have been hesitent to post because I wasn't sure if anyone was paying attention after seeing no response. Thank you for the reasurance that you are considering our ideas. I realize much of what you do is a matter of setting priorities. I often use another editor to get needed functionality and wish I didn't have to but frankly a higher priority for me would be support for other devices (32 bit) so I don't have to use a whole different compiler, debugger, ide, etc and not just the editor.

Russ your ideas are good. I've wished for most of those things myself!

thanks,

softy

It's a request pile-on!

First, I do like the BoostC environment and compiler. I really like the plugin-addons; they give like 90% of the simulation functionality of tools costing alot more.

So, here are my suggestions:

plugins

-a simple 2 or 4-channel oscilloscope with some sort of triggering capability (by time or by the change of a named register or variable)

programmer

- ability to add custom programmer choices, with editable command strings. Example - adding a custom programming app to go with a custom bootloader

IDE

-projects should save and recall which files were last opened. It's a small annoyance to have to re-open files when starting up or switching projects

-better integration with libraries and includes!

* there should be an "include' folder in the workspace tree which shows included files or libraries

* public functions and variables from includes and libraries should show up in the browse view, and when viewing via right-click ->browse

* "Find in Files" should have a selectable option of searching all files in the open project, including libraries or includes

- some basic level of code-completion that is aware of all vars and functions in the project. I'd be willing to pay for an enhanced IDE that had this and other improvements.

I appreciate that IDE improvements might draw you away from the core business of making compilers. Maybe you could consider adopting an open-source IDE like Eclipse for your IDE base?

Thanks for considering these.

I don't know if this has been raised before, but a RS232 plugin would be nice - some way to either watch and/or interact with the serial port (physical or virtual.

Maybe some way to pause the debug process to allow characters or data be sent or interacted with?

Did any of these make it into v7 ?

Allow multiple instances of the plugins, sometimes 8 led's is not enough

Make green bar go away or change color when code is not stopped, ie running.