davidb

Novo & Vista

davidb    0

Hi,

This is not specifically a Novo issue and I don't know if this is a problem with SourceBoost, Vista or me!

I have a Pro license for BoostC and have been using it for quite a while and I also tried Novo briefly some time ago.

I recently decided to try Novo more intensively and this has worked fine on my desktop PC running XPpro. For convenience I decided to move the whole SourceBoost package to my laptop running Vista.

I installed a freshly downloaded copy of V6.91 and all seem to be fine at first, registration worked OK and goodies.exe stated that programs had been copied using my orginal Pro license usernames and keys. I tried compiling a few programs and everything seemed to be working correctly.

Before deleting SourceBoost from the desktop PC I checked to see what files I needed to copy over e.g. C projects and custom Novo libraries that I had created. I then noticed that the novo source files was missing from the Novo directory on the laptop. Further investigation showed that the source files in libc were also missing.

It seems that although goodies.exe says it has copied the files it doesn't actually do it! I have tried re-installing from my original CD and various other combinations but no matter what I do goodies.exe does not work although it says that everything has been successfully copied.

I could obviously copy the current source files from the desktop PC but when there is a new version of SourceBoost these are likely to change so I would have to re-install SourceBoost on the desktop again. I have now uninstalled everything from the laptop but would still like to do the transfer eventually. Perhaps I need to clean out the registry as well.

Before wasting any more time on this has anybody who has a Pro license and is running Vista managed to copy the Novo and libc source files using goodies.exe or is this a known problem?

Many thanks

davidb

Pavel    0

Intergally goodies use plain windows file API to store unpacked files. The only problem under Vista I can think of is when you run goodies as a user that does not have administrator privileges. For such users all directories in program files folder are write protected and goodies won't be able to write files there. The solution is to run goodies being logged in as administrator.

Regards,

Pavel

davidb    0
Intergally goodies use plain windows file API to store unpacked files. The only problem under Vista I can think of is when you run goodies as a user that does not have administrator privileges. For such users all directories in program files folder are write protected and goodies won't be able to write files there. The solution is to run goodies being logged in as administrator.

Regards,

Pavel

Hi Pavel,

Shortly after asking this question in January I moved it to Bug Reports and then as often happens I solved it myself - see reply on 17th Jan.

You are right of course it does need administrator priviliges but what confused me was that goodies.exe ran without producing any error message e.g. cannot write, file read only or something along those lines.

Thanks

davidb

WalterFax    0

With Microoft discontinuing Windows XP in about 6 months, whats the general consensus of Vista in the IM space?

Im running it on one laptop but am still using XP for all my IM stuff. There still seems to be a lot of compatibility issues with applications across the board, not just in IM. And it seems like not a lot of the software in the IM space has really been tested with Vista.

Is anyone using Vista on a regular basis? If so hows it going? Have you seen applications that wont run under Vista?

JorgeF    0

Hi

Vista?

I tought that was long gone....

As for the sourceboost IDE and BoostC compiler, I've already used it on Vista 32 bits, Win 7 32 and 64 bits and currently in Win 10 64 bits without any issues.

HIH

Best regards

Jorge

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.