Typedef Struct With Function Pointers

I have this typedef struct, keep getiting error: missing right brace.

typedef struct

{

unsigned char (*init_if)(void *instance);

unsigned char (*read_message)(void *instance1);

unsigned char (*write_message)(void *instance2);

} serial_if_driver_t;

I had a quick look around the forums, it seems that as far back as 2007 this was flagged as an issue, is there a solution??

Thanks, Alan

I have this typedef struct, keep getiting error: missing right brace.

typedef struct

{

unsigned char (*init_if)(void *instance);

unsigned char (*read_message)(void *instance1);

unsigned char (*write_message)(void *instance2);

} serial_if_driver_t;

I had a quick look around the forums, it seems that as far back as 2007 this was flagged as an issue, is there a solution??

Thanks, Alan

Come on Sourceboost, I need soome help on this one!!

We are looking into this right now. Compiler does not support struct members of type function pointers. Hopefully we'll add this feature by the next release. However even when this feature is available it will be very expensive in terms of code/data space (because of PIC architecture). If your design allows you should use function pointers as little as possible (if not at all).

Regards,

Pavel

We are looking into this right now. Compiler does not support struct members of type function pointers. Hopefully we'll add this feature by the next release. However even when this feature is available it will be very expensive in terms of code/data space (because of PIC architecture). If your design allows you should use function pointers as little as possible (if not at all).

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks for the reply, expensive or not it stands to reason for any compiler that is ANSI-C should be able to do function pointers in struct's, looking back this has been flagged years ago, and still no support?? Bit disapointed to say the least after splashing £100 for the compilier, actually this is the second time that I have purchased it.

Anyhow is there a different way to get function pointers into structs??

Also could you please comment on this?

typedef struct serial_if_driver_t{

unsigned char init_if();

unsigned char read_message();

unsigned char write_message();

} serial_if_driver_t;

error: ',' expected ??

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks for the reply, expensive or not it stands to reason for any compiler that is ANSI-C should be able to do function pointers in struct's, looking back this has been

Yes it should. Nobody argues about this. However PIC is not a good platform for a design that uses many function pointers. It's better either to review program architecture or move to different CPU.

flagged years ago, and still no support?? Bit disapointed to say the least after splashing £100 for the compilier, actually this is the second time that I have purchased it.

That's why we offer free compiler on our web site. Everybody can download and try it before purchasing.

No

unsigned char init_if();

} serial_if_driver_t;

This is C++ syntax and BoostC won't compile it. You need BoostC++ to compile such code.

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks for the reply, expensive or not it stands to reason for any compiler that is ANSI-C should be able to do function pointers in struct's, looking back this has been

Yes it should. Nobody argues about this. However PIC is not a good platform for a design that uses many function pointers. It's better either to review program architecture or move to different CPU.

flagged years ago, and still no support?? Bit disapointed to say the least after splashing £100 for the compilier, actually this is the second time that I have purchased it.

That's why we offer free compiler on our web site. Everybody can download and try it before purchasing.

No

unsigned char init_if();

} serial_if_driver_t;

This is C++ syntax and BoostC won't compile it. You need BoostC++ to compile such code.

Regards,

Pavel

Ok, thanks for the info.

No

unsigned char init_if();

} serial_if_driver_t;

Regards,

Pavel

Hello Pavel,

Even more basic then above, I cannot get this to compile?? Is there something that I am missing with structs and SB?

struct {

unsigned char name[30];

unsigned char street[40];

unsigned char city[20];

unsigned char state[3];

unsigned int zip;

} addr_info;

addr_info.zip=123;

Regards, Alan

Alan,

Your assignment has to be inside a pair of braces. Either the structure or a function/procedure.

Cheers

Reynard

Well! Maybe not structures then ;)

Edited by Reynard

No

unsigned char init_if();

} serial_if_driver_t;

Regards,

Pavel

Hello Pavel,

Thanks for the advice "It's better either to review program architecture or move to different CPU."

Heres some advice also how about removing ANSI-C compatible from page 9 of your datasheet/manual.

Regards, Alan

...Even more basic then above, I cannot get this to compile?? Is there something that I am missing with structs and SB?

struct {

unsigned char name[30];

unsigned char city[20];

unsigned char state[3];

unsigned int zip;

} addr_info;

addr_info.zip=123;

Regards, Alan

This code does not compile because it's not valid C syntax. Insert your code inside a function and it will compile just fine.

Like this:

#include <system.h>

void main()
{
struct {
unsigned char name[30];
unsigned char city[20];
unsigned char state[3];
unsigned int zip;
} addr_info;

addr_info.zip=123;