I'm using the PIC16F913, which has a serial output. I set up the serial port to transmit on a timer overflow interrupt.

To send serial data, all I have to do is set TXREG equal to the byte I want to send, right?

I've set this up with 2 different compilers, 3 different serial port readers, 3 different baud rates, and I keep getting the same results - serial data is transmitted, but it's not what I sent. In the code snippets below, I send 0x39, but what I get is 0x63 (or ASCII "c" for hyperterm).

The data that I get on the serial port is consistent, but never the same as what I send - it's not shifted or inverted. Not sure what the issue is - anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

txsta = 0b00100000;
rcsta = 0b10000000;
spbrg = 0b00001100;		//Baud: 1200

txreg = 0x39;

Edited by dersk

0x39 = 00111001(stop=1)

0x63 = 01100011(stop=1)

I forget if the msb or lsb is sent first but assumming that the msb is sent first, the 0x39 could look like 0x63 if the receiver was set up to read 7 bits instead of 8 and was sampling a little too fast. I think it is the LSB first so who knows.

Your baud rate value of 0xc (12) looks suspect to me. But, I am looking at a data sheet for a 16F874. Most of the baud rate generators have been the same for the newer 16F devices so I'm assuming it is the same for the 16F913. You did not specify a clock frequecy that you are running the chip so it is hard to say what the correct value is.

I'm not a big fan of low baud rates as all it does is slow down your PIC waiting to send data. 115.2K baud has always worked really well for me with a 20 MHz clock.

The bottom line is that you should check the data sheet for this part and use the equation or tables provided to check that you selected a proper baud rate.

I'm using the PIC16F913, which has a serial output. I set up the serial port to transmit on a timer overflow interrupt.

To send serial data, all I have to do is set TXREG equal to the byte I want to send, right?

I've set this up with 2 different compilers, 3 different serial port readers, 3 different baud rates, and I keep getting the same results - serial data is transmitted, but it's not what I sent. In the code snippets below, I send 0x39, but what I get is 0x63 (or ASCII "c" for hyperterm).

The data that I get on the serial port is consistent, but never the same as what I send - it's not shifted or inverted. Not sure what the issue is - anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

txsta = 0b00100000;
rcsta = 0b10000000;

txreg = 0x39;

Looks like it could be an inversion issue, the bits match when bit shifted and inverted:

0x39 = 00111001
0x63 =01100011

Regards

Dave

Do you have some form of RS232 driver chip tagged onto the TX outpit pin or are you driving directly from PIC to PC serial port. A driver chip will give you the correct inversion, as well as voltage levels.

The baud rate value (12) is correct for the default internal oscillator at 4MHz or Fosc = 1MHz.

Cheers

Reynard

txsta = 0b00100000;
rcsta = 0b10000000;

txreg = 0x39;

Try sending without the timer interrupt & check it up just to rule out the timing problem else you might be writing into the TXreg to often before one transmit is completed.

regards

Raghunathan.

Do you have some form of RS232 driver chip tagged onto the TX outpit pin or are you driving directly from PIC to PC serial port. A driver chip will give you the correct inversion, as well as voltage levels.

That's what I needed - a driver chip - thanks for all the suggestions, I got it to work.