Sign in to follow this  
IanM

Build And Project Specific Settings

It would be helpful if more of the IDE settings, especially plugin configuration were stored on a per project basis. I know there is no global fix for plugins that dont save their settings except LARTing the plug in writers ;), but when they do save their settings, its irritating and disconcerting to open a previous project and find that not only are your carefully configured plugins are still set for your current project but you are going to have to totally mess them up if you need to simulate the old project again. Ideally there should be some way of exporting/importing simulator settings for transfer to other projects or exchange with other users.

Also I often want different builds for different testing purposes within a project. e.g. with or without the symbols DEBUG, and SIMULATE or USE_ICD defined. It is awkward and error prone to have to change the selected toolsuite's options dialog each time so I handle this using multiple project files but that is clumsy to say the least. Can we have multiple named configuration sets selectable from the build menu, that force a clean build if a different one is selected? Again an export/import option of some sort would be nice.

It would be helpful if more of the IDE settings, especially plugin configuration were stored on a per project basis. I know there is no global fix for plugins that dont save their settings except LARTing the plug in writers ;), but when they do save their settings, its irritating and disconcerting to open a previous project and find that not only are your carefully configured plugins are still set for your current project but you are going to have to totally mess them up if you need to simulate the old project again. Ideally there should be some way of exporting/importing simulator settings for transfer to other projects or exchange with other users.

IDE already does it. If you look into any project file (file with extension .__c) yuo will find plugin state saved under the [Plugins] section (the only exception are project files from installation that have this info stripped out). So if you switch between projects the plugin settings should change as well.

Also I often want different builds for different testing purposes within a project. e.g. with or without the symbols DEBUG, and SIMULATE or USE_ICD defined. It is awkward and error prone to have to change the selected toolsuite's options dialog each time so I handle this using multiple project files but that is clumsy to say the least. Can we have multiple named configuration sets selectable from the build menu, that force a clean build if a different one is selected? Again an export/import option of some sort would be nice.

Yes multiple configurations is a nice feature. It's on our todo list already.

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks for your prompt reply.

You are (of course) correct, ;) and I must have been tired and unobservant. *YOUR* plugins save their configuration, but unfortunately which ones are open and their window size and position seems to be kept in the global application settings (further confused by the two sets, debug and editor mode and the fact you allow plugins to be opened for configuration in editor mode).

Would it be possible to store the list of plugins open and their relative window sizes and positions in the project file? There might need to be some way of disabling it though as there is bound to be *someone* who prefers the current arrangement. B)

Do you have any idea yet when we might expect to see the multiple build configurations feature that's on your to-do list? If not, I'll just have to be patient :rolleyes:

Ian.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

You are (of course) correct, ;) and I must have been tired and unobservant. *YOUR* plugins save their configuration, but unfortunately which ones are open and their window size and position seems to be kept in the global application settings (further confused by the two sets, debug and editor mode and the fact you allow plugins to be opened for configuration in editor mode).

Would it be possible to store the list of plugins open and their relative window sizes and positions in the project file? There might need to be some way of disabling it though as there is bound to be *someone* who prefers the current arrangement. B)

This would be tricky. Plugin position and size are controlled by the framework that IDE uses.

Do you have any idea yet when we might expect to see the multiple build configurations feature that's on your to-do list? If not, I'll just have to be patient :rolleyes:

We don't have any date attached to this. We currently do some other IDE improvements so this one might slip in.

Regards,

Pavel