Have any one tested this bootloader with boostc?

I've been meaning to give it a try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've seen positive feedback from others that have used it standalone. I'll give it a shot in a few days.

Amazing. These dudes have done the USB stack in assembler.

It looks like it bounces the interrupt high/low vectors from the normal addresses into the program at the same addresses above its origin - meaning that every interrupt takes another couple of clock cycles. Aside from that side effect, it's a neat way of not having to do tricky boot vector relocations.

Given that mplab compiles the program out of the box, there doesn't seem much point in porting it, esp given that its in assembler anyway. Just use it if it works for you.

cheers

Ian.

I've been meaning to give it a try, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I've seen positive feedback from others that have used it standalone. I'll give it a shot in a few days.

It looks like it bounces the interrupt high/low vectors from the normal addresses into the program at the same addresses above its origin - meaning that every interrupt takes another couple of clock cycles. Aside from that side effect, it's a neat way of not having to do tricky boot vector relocations.

Given that mplab compiles the program out of the box, there doesn't seem much point in porting it, esp given that its in assembler anyway. Just use it if it works for you.

cheers

Ian.

What settings ect need to be done in boostc to use it?

BR /Jörgen

cheers

Ian.

What settings ect need to be done in boostc to use it?

BR /Jörgen

In order to get a program bootloaded, I would expect you would compile it with -rb 2048 in the options / linker params.

cheers

Ian.

I have start playing around whit the bootloader. I can download my program but it does not start. I have compiled a simple program that flash some leds. It works if I flash it to the PIC18F2550 with out the bootloader. I then recompile it with -rb 2048 option and use the bootloader then it does not start. Any ides what I am doing wrong?

/Jörgen

I have it working whit a simple program but when I try more complex program it fails. I think it´s because bootloader use extended instructions. Is this correct way to redefine interrupts vector?

void interrupt( void )@0x808{

}

void interrupt_low( void )@0x818 {

}

sdujolo,

I have it working whit a simple program but when I try more complex program it fails. I think it´s because bootloader use extended instructions. Is this correct way to redefine interrupts vector?

}

}

No this will not work as the interrupt routines are jumped to from 0x808 and 0x818, the routines themselves do not reside at these addresses.

-rb 2048 ( or -rb 0x800 ) will relocated the whole program, including putting the required jumps in at 0x808 and 0x818 for the interrupt routines.

Regards

Dave

sdujolo,

}

}

No this will not work as the interrupt routines are jumped to from 0x808 and 0x818, the routines themselves do not reside at these addresses.

-rb 2048 ( or -rb 0x800 ) will relocated the whole program, including putting the required jumps in at 0x808 and 0x818 for the interrupt routines.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks for your answer. I figure out that to when I stated to check asm files. I have tried with just -rb 2048 optiion and that works with my simple flashing some led program but not with my NOVO program. I have figure out the when not using the bootloader it only works if I have "Extended instr.Set" disabled. The bootloader need "Extended instr.Set" enabled is there any work around? But that does not look as the entire problem beacuse when I have "Extended instr.Set" enabled with out bootloader it print text on LCD and then stop but with bootloader nothing happen.

Best regards /Jörgen

sdujolo,

Hi Dave and thanks for your answer. I figure out that to when I stated to check asm files. I have tried with just -rb 2048 optiion and that works with my simple flashing some led program but not with my NOVO program. I have figure out the when not using the bootloader it only works if I have "Extended instr.Set" disabled. The bootloader need "Extended instr.Set" enabled is there any work around? But that does not look as the entire problem beacuse when I have "Extended instr.Set" enabled with out bootloader it print text on LCD and then stop but with bootloader nothing happen.

The BoostC compiler for the PIC18 does not support the PIC18 extended instruction set, so to use code produced by it you must ensure that the extended instruction set is turned off. I don't know of a work around :-(

Regards

Dave

I assume that BoostC_Pic18 must use the FSR2 register pair then. The competition has a work-around based on loading FSR2 with zero.

http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1859

How much work would it be to add an /xinst switch to the compiler that prevents system use of FSR2, zeros it on startup and adds code to the ISR context preservation to preserve it but zero it for the ISR?

It would then be the responsibility of user assembly code to preserve FSR2 and restore it before returning to compiled code. You might also need some way of notifying the assembler that the user is managing their own bank switching.

I do hope this isn't a totally daft idea as it *MIGHT* be a half way house, potentially leading to a compiler that uses the extended instructions without clashing with user assembly code. There's got to be a really *good* reason why you haven't done this . . . but the BoostC_Pic16 compiler manages with one FSR, so it must be sort of possible.

I gave up and start using Microchip USB Bootloader. It´s working good with boostc but does not support encryption. It will be easy to add it but then you need to buy Microchip compiler and then there is no need to have SourceBoost compiler :D

Edited by sdujolo