Sign in to follow this  
trossin

Upgraded From 6.89 To 6.96 Broke Assembly Sim

Hey what is up with 6.96? Is there a new setting for ASM projects that I need or has simulation and plug fun ended for ASM projects?

This is killing me. I really am hooked on it.

When I hit the debug button I get the message:

Can't load fille 'B1802.cod'

I uploaded the project files. I see that there is a B1802.COD file in my directory so I tried renaming it to B1802.cod and it still is unable to load it. No path is given in the error so I copied the file to c: and to the sourceboost install directory but still no go.

I'm thinking this should be marked as a bug and not a question but I'll leave it as a question for now.

B1802.zip

Edited by trossin

Hey what is up with 6.96? Is there a new setting for ASM projects that I need or has simulation and plug fun ended for ASM projects?

I uploaded the project files. I see that there is a B1802.COD file in my directory so I tried renaming it to B1802.cod and it still is unable to load it. No path is given in the error so I copied the file to c: and to the sourceboost install directory but still no go.

I'm thinking this should be marked as a bug and not a question but I'll leave it as a question for now.

Does the message complain about B1802.cod or B1802.cof? The IDE only works with .cof files and MPASM doesn't seem to generate those.

Regards,

Pavel

Ted,

Looks like MPASM no longer generates a debug output file:
A COD file is a legacy debug file that is no longer used (see MPASM Assembler Versions before v3.30.)
To get a COD or COFF file the .o file(s) from MPASM need to be pushed through MPLINK.exe.

Regards

Dave

The error was about the cod file and the cod file was in multiple direictores. I did not change my version of MPASM. All I changed was the version of SourceBoost. When I reinstalled 6.89 everything worked fine again (without reruning MPASM). I really believe someone changed something on your side not Microchip's side. I uploaded the project so you can take a look.

Are you able to reproduce the problem? I'm using MPASM version 5.02. I think I just downloaded it a month or two ago. If I'm the only one seeing this problem then maybe I have a corrupted plugin that is corrupting SoruceBoost. I can get the latest version of MPASM from microchip and do a fresh install of SourceBoost (wipe my old directory) and see if it works correctly.

Edited by trossin

OK. I updated MPLAB to version 8.43 which got me version version 5.35beta (beta!) of MPASM and as was predicted, I no longer get a cod file. I also reupdated to V6.96 of SourceBoost. It was suggested that I run MPLINK to get the cod file. I read the options in the manual and can not figure out the secret. I got a coff file named a.out which I copied and renamed it to cod and both 6.89 and 6.96 are unable to read it. So my 2 questions are:

1. What are the options to turn a .O (object) file into a .cod file

2. Is there a way to integrate that into SourceBoost IDE?

I see there is a mp2cod.exe file in the microchip pack. Maybe I can run this somehow?

Any help would be really nice to have.

Update: I ran mp2cod on the .O file produced by MPASM (mp2cod B1802_18F.O) and got a B1802_18F.cod file. I tried to simulate this in SourceBoost v6.96 and got the original problem of "Can't load file 'B1802_18F.cod'.

This is the command line I used and the response from the tool

$ '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/microchip/MPASM Suite/mp2cod' B1802_18F.O

MP2COD 4.35, COFF to COD File Converter

Copyright © 2009 Microchip Technology Inc.

Errors : 0

I'm still cooked.

Update2:

I downgraded to SourceBoost 6.89 and I am able to simulate the cod file produced with MP2COD. I still claim this to be a SourceBoost 6.96 bug. Anybody else able to simulate assembler projects with 6.96? I have no reason to upgrate today so I'll deal with it but one day I might want to upgrade (or even pay money for version 7).

Edited by trossin

OK. I updated MPLAB to version 8.43 which got me version version 5.35beta (beta!) of MPASM and as was predicted, I no longer get a cod file. I also reupdated to V6.96 of SourceBoost. It was suggested that I run MPLINK to get the cod file. I read the options in the manual and can not figure out the secret. I got a coff file named a.out which I copied and renamed it to cod and both 6.89 and 6.96 are unable to read it. So my 2 questions are:

1. What are the options to turn a .O (object) file into a .cod file

2. Is there a way to integrate that into SourceBoost IDE?

I see there is a mp2cod.exe file in the microchip pack. Maybe I can run this somehow?

Any help would be really nice to have.

Update: I ran mp2cod on the .O file produced by MPASM (mp2cod B1802_18F.O) and got a B1802_18F.cod file. I tried to simulate this in SourceBoost v6.96 and got the original problem of "Can't load file 'B1802_18F.cod'.

This is the command line I used and the response from the tool

$ '/cygdrive/c/Program Files/microchip/MPASM Suite/mp2cod' B1802_18F.O

MP2COD 4.35, COFF to COD File Converter

Copyright © 2009 Microchip Technology Inc.

Errors : 0

I'm still cooked.

Update2:

I downgraded to SourceBoost 6.89 and I am able to simulate the cod file produced with MP2COD. I still claim this to be a SourceBoost 6.96 bug. Anybody else able to simulate assembler projects with 6.96? I have no reason to upgrate today so I'll deal with it but one day I might want to upgrade (or even pay money for version 7).

There is still something wrong here. SourceBoost works with COF files only. We had some limited COD file support but it was a long time ago (probably before 6.x release).

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks for the info. After playing some more I noticed that the cod file produced by mp2cod allows me to simulate with 6.89 but does not allow me to look at named symbols (holding the mouse over a variable or displaying them in a watch window). Both 6.89 and 6.96 generate an error if there is no cod file (Can't load file 'B1802_18F.cod'). If you would grep through your source code I would bet you would find some code that appends cod to the project or source file basename and tries to load it. This is only true for assembler projects. If I create an 18F4620 C project then only a .cof file is produced and the simulator is happy with that. For fun I renamed the C project .cof file to .cod and I got the Can't load file 'blah.cod' error again. Changing it back to cof made it happy.

Changing the assembler project from COD to COF resulted in the Can't load file 'B1802_18F.cod" error in V6.89.

Just more info to hopefully make some sense of what I'm observing.

Thanks for taking a look.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this