bongo

Smart Build From Within Mplab

When using BoostC from within the Sourceboost IDE, it does a smart build, i.e. only the files that have changed are recompiled. for all other files, the existing object files are used.

When using MPLAB (as an ide for BoostC) to build the design (i think i have to, if i want to debug using ICD2), then on each build, all files are compiled again, no matter if they have changed or not.

So this is the most time consuming part of the process when fixing little bugs, as it compiles only on 1 core of a quad core cpu.

Is there a way to configure MPLAB to only recompile the files that have changed?

thanx!

When using BoostC from within the Sourceboost IDE, it does a smart build, i.e. only the files that have changed are recompiled. for all other files, the existing object files are used.

When using MPLAB (as an ide for BoostC) to build the design (i think i have to, if i want to debug using ICD2), then on each build, all files are compiled again, no matter if they have changed or not.

So this is the most time consuming part of the process when fixing little bugs, as it compiles only on 1 core of a quad core cpu.

Is there a way to configure MPLAB to only recompile the files that have changed?

thanx!

This question has been asked before, but no one has ever answered it that I'm aware of. I am using ICD2 for debugging. It could be due to a MPLAB deficiency (do all 3rd party compilers do this?) or a problem with the integration protocol (is SB conforming to all current specs?) It would be nice if Pavel or Dave could address this and if nothing else, let us know they are aware of the problem even if they don't plan to do anything about it.

Regards,

Henry

This is a problem in MPLAB API for third party plugins. We discussed it with Microchip and it looks like it will be fixed by June 2010. Meanwhile you can build outside of MPLAB using make generated by SourceBoost IDE (either from IDE or command line).

Regards,

Pavel