I work for a manufacturing company as an electrical controls engineer. I have been using PICs frequently in many of my home projects, but ony recently (last week) started using them also at work. My manager purchased the EasyPIC6 from MikroElectronica along with the MikroBasic compiler. Sad, I know.

I am supposed to use this to simulate my most recent program. This is not the problem, but the terrible limitations of the mikrobasic compiler are. I want to rewrite my program in BoostC and use the EasyPIC6 to simulate. Long story short.

Now the problem. The board is set for 4 bit low on the LCD and there is no r/w pin. I have tried to edit the BoostC LCD_driver.h header file to allow for only the passage of the "E" and "RS" inputs, but when I try to complie it says it can't locate the new header file. I even added it to my project and still nothing. Can anyone tell me either how to edit this header file so that I can include it in my program or how to write the code so that it will work with this odd board?

I hope someone out there can help me.

Thank you,

Tim: Chattanooga, TN

Editing a file and compiler not being able to find it sound like completely unrelated things. If you place the edited file into the include folder in the SourceBoost installation directory and use the angle braces include statement to include it into your sources compiler should find it. Or alternatively you can save edited file anywhere and use double quote include and full path to the file. This should work too.

Regards,

Pavel

I agree, but nevertheless, the edited header file is located in the exact same dir4ectory (...\include) as the original file. When I #include<lcd_driver.h>, I get no problems; however, when I #include <lcd_driver2.h> it can't find the file. I have also, as previously mentioned, tried to add the file to the project, but that also did not help.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that might help me? I need to edit this file to work properly with the weird demo board my boss bought for me to use to prototype my projects.

I agree, but nevertheless, the edited header file is located in the exact same dir4ectory (...\include) as the original file. When I #include<lcd_driver.h>, I get no problems; however, when I #include <lcd_driver2.h> it can't find the file. I have also, as previously mentioned, tried to add the file to the project, but that also did not help.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that might help me? I need to edit this file to work properly with the weird demo board my boss bought for me to use to prototype my projects.

I could not reproduce the problem. I renamed lcd_driver.h into lcd_driver2.h and changed include in the lcd example from SourceBoost installation to include lcd_driver2.h instead of lcd_driver.h. Project still compiles and links without any problems. Includes are handled by preprocessor that follows certain rules and doesn't care about any particular files. I'm pretty sure the problem you describe is caused by something else. Can you try to do the same on the lcd sample project and let us know the results. We can also take a look at your project if you send it along with lcd_river2.h file to support@sourceboost.com.

Regards,

Pavel

Sounds like you are picking up the files from a different location. Have you installed different versions of the SourceBoost package on the same machine in different locations?

Check in SourceBoost IDE menu settings->options->Compiler&linker Directory. Make sure the directory is correct for the version of compiler you want to run. This information is stored as part of the project.

Regards

Dave

Tim, I've been mostly using Ted Rossin's BoostC library files for 2 x 16 LCD display, which is a 6-wire version. You might find it easier to modify.

Pavel, Dave... in fairness to Tim, the way the SourceBoost IDE deals with includes is less than ideal. I made a brief list of what I found lacking in an earlier enhancement request post:

IDE

-projects should save and recall which files were last opened. It's a small annoyance to have to re-open files when starting up or switching projects

-better integration with libraries and includes!

* there should be an "include' folder in the workspace tree which shows included files or libraries

* public functions and variables from includes and libraries should show up in the browse view, and when viewing via right-click ->browse

* "Find in Files" should have a selectable option of searching all files in the open project, including libraries or includes

Thanks.

Edited by kenn

Dave -> I have checked and the path to the linker is the sourceboost directory. Should this be changed to reflect the \include directory or does it understand to look within the folders IN the sourceboost directory? I can't imagine that it should as it has no problem locating the other header files.

I have sine also tried to simply edit the existing header file and it then fails to find it using the same name and just modifying the existing text?

I edited this with notepad to avoid any formatiing issues. Should I edit this file with something other than that?

Dave -> I have checked and the path to the linker is the sourceboost directory. Should this be changed to reflect the \include directory or does it understand to look within the folders IN the sourceboost directory? I can't imagine that it should as it has no problem locating the other header files.
The path should point to the folder where the compiler lives.

I have sine also tried to simply edit the existing header file and it then fails to find it using the same name and just modifying the existing text?
What fails exactlty?

Did you rename the existing file or rename it?

I edited this with notepad to avoid any formatiing issues. Should I edit this file with something other than that?
Using notepad should be fine.

Regards

Dave

What fails exactlty?

The error reads that it was unable to locate the file and then halts compiling.

I'll try reinstalling and see if that helps at all.

What fails exactlty?

The error reads that it was unable to locate the file and then halts compiling.

I'll try reinstalling and see if that helps at all.

I doubt anyone is still following this thread, but it turns out that uninstalling and reinstalling the software fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.