Sign in to follow this  
AlexR

V6.97rc3 Sooo Slooow!

I trust there will be more release candidates before the final version of V6.97 because the new BoostC V6.97RC3 is very slow. A project that takes 20 seconds to compile with V6.96 takes 40 seconds (exactly double the time) to compile in V6.97RC3.

I trust there will be more release candidates before the final version of V6.97 because the new BoostC V6.97RC3 is very slow. A project that takes 20 seconds to compile with V6.96 takes 40 seconds (exactly double the time) to compile in V6.97RC3.

Actually this is the final release candidate. We don't plan to change anything in it unless this is a very serious issue.

Compilation speed shouldn't change. What optimisation options do you use? What's you OS, Ram size and CPU speed?

Regards,

Pavel

I'm running win2k on a machine with 4Gbyte of RAM and a dual core Intel processor (can't remember speed off hand) but the point is that slow compile is only with V6.97RC3. It was fine with RC1 and the various beta releases of V6.97.

The project I'm using as a test consists of 4 sources files that are compiled and linked. As far as I can see the slow compile time is largely caused by the a long delay at the start of each compile. It seems to hang for several seconds before starting to compiling each file.

Alex,

I'm running win2k on a machine with 4Gbyte of RAM and a dual core Intel processor (can't remember speed off hand) but the point is that slow compile is only with V6.97RC3. It was fine with RC1 and the various beta releases of V6.97.

The project I'm using as a test consists of 4 sources files that are compiled and linked. As far as I can see the slow compile time is largely caused by the a long delay at the start of each compile. It seems to hang for several seconds before starting to compiling each file.

My findings are as follows for compiling a large multi source file project compiled on a Win2k machine AMD XP2200 with 256MB RAM:

Target: PIC16F877A

V6.97 RC3 - 48s compile and link

V6.96 - 44s compile and link

Target: PIC18F4620

V6.97 RC3 - 65s compile and link

V6.96 - 61s compile and link

So it does look as though V6.97RC3 is slighly very slower, but nothing like what you are describing.

Please repeat your tests.

Also, if you are able to, send your project to support@sourceboost.com and then we may be able to reproduce your experiences.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

The problem is very repeatable. As I said above it seems more of an issue with the compiler being slow to get going rather than slow compilation. Once the compiler gets going it looks just as fast as previous versions but it does seem to hang for several seconds at the start of each file that it compiles.

The figures you quote look about right if you are compiling only 1 source file. If you are compiling multiple source files then you get that extra delay between each of the files.

Anyhow I've attached my test project so you can have a play.

TestCode.zip

AlexR,

The problem is very repeatable. As I said above it seems more of an issue with the compiler being slow to get going rather than slow compilation. Once the compiler gets going it looks just as fast as previous versions but it does seem to hang for several seconds at the start of each file that it compiles.

The figures you quote look about right if you are compiling only 1 source file.

Not the case, I was compiling a multi-source file project (as I previously stated).

If you are compiling multiple source files then you get that extra delay between each of the files.

Anyhow I've attached my test project so you can have a play.

With my test system (Win2k machine AMD XP2200 with 256MB RAM) compiling your code (full rebuild) compilation times are as follows:

V6.96 - 21s

V6.97RC3 - 24s

V6.97RC1 - 24s

V6.97Beta 3 - would not link code

V6.97Beta 2 - 22s

So the greater delay you are experiencing is presumably something to do with your environment. Consider turning off any virus checkers you may have running and re-running the test, maybe there is some runtime virus scanning that is slowing things down now that we remove the dependencies of the compiler and linker on Microsoft runtime libraries.

Regards

Dave