TomF

Build Button Doesnt Compile

Hi,

Pressing the Build button doesnt compile then link. I have to press compile then link each time.

I have the build options set to compile, link.

Building...

error: could not open input file makefile.GC864

Done

TomF,

Pressing the Build button doesnt compile then link. I have to press compile then link each time.
We need more information in order to help.

1) What version of the SourceBoost package youy are using?

2) Does the problem occur with just one project or any project you try to build?

3) Was it working once but now has stopped?

Regards

Dave

I'm having the same problem. Version 7.04.

I created a project "Test 1" using "new project" and selected "with empty source file". In void main I added a "while (1);" statement, and used default device and clock settings under target and clock rate respectively. I then selected "release" and hit build.

The compiler generates this error.

Building...

error: could not open input file makefile.Test

Failed to locate output file 'Release\Test 1.hex'

Done

Failed

It seems as though the IDE is looking for a file it failed to create when the new project was built. Yet if I hit compile only it works ok according to the output status window. The weird part is there is no *.hex file or *.lst or *.asm files generated. Edited by Sparky1039

... It seems as though the IDE is looking for a file it failed to create when the new project was built. Yet if I hit compile only it works ok according to the output status window. The weird part is there is no *.hex file or *.lst or *.asm files generated.

Please zip your project directory and email to support@sourceboost.com

Regards,

Pavel

... It seems as though the IDE is looking for a file it failed to create when the new project was built. Yet if I hit compile only it works ok according to the output status window. The weird part is there is no *.hex file or *.lst or *.asm files generated.

Please zip your project directory and email to support@sourceboost.com

Regards,

Pavel

Thank you for sending us the project. The problem appeared to be in the IDE that didn't handle projects that had spaces in them. It's now fixed and fix will be available in the next release. Meanwhile please rename your project so that there are no spaces in its name.

Regards,

Pavel

Thank you for sending us the project. The problem appeared to be in the IDE that didn't handle projects that had spaces in them. It's not fixed and fix will be available in the next release. Meanwhile please rename your project so that there are no spaces in its name.

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks for the update on this. It seems like a minor issue but it had me scratching my head over it.

Pavel,

Here is another oddity I've encountered after upgrading to V7.04.

When working on projects sometimes for no apparent reason the IDE inserts the novo.h file into my code. It's really strange when out of nowhere I'll notice that "SysReadSemaphore" is included in my function lists after a compile. The only declared include files I am using are ...

#include <system.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#include <memory.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

Not sure why novo.h is showing up. Care to explain?

Pavel,

Here is another oddity I've encountered after upgrading to V7.04.

When working on projects sometimes for no apparent reason the IDE inserts the novo.h file into my code. It's really strange when out of nowhere I'll notice that "SysReadSemaphore" is included in my function lists after a compile. The only declared include files I am using are ...

#include <system.h>

#include <stdio.h>

#include <memory.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

Not sure why novo.h is showing up. Care to explain?

Go to Settings->Options->Browser and un-check the Novo option.

Regards,

Pavel

Thanks that fixed it. Not sure why I would see it at times and others not. Perhaps I wasn't specifically looking for it and missed it. However this begs the question should Novo headers be enabled as IDE default or not? It would seem to me that Novo is something a user specifically wants and can envoke as needed vs. always "on" and a default setting.

Thanks that fixed it. Not sure why I would see it at times and others not. Perhaps I wasn't specifically looking for it and missed it. However this begs the question should Novo headers be enabled as IDE default or not? It would seem to me that Novo is something a user specifically wants and can envoke as needed vs. always "on" and a default setting.

Novo headers will be included by default because we encourage to use it in all projects (well in almost all projects). There definitely are more technical reasons to use it rather than not.

Regards,

Pavel

Novo headers will be included by default because we encourage to use it in all projects (well in almost all projects). There definitely are more technical reasons to use it rather than not.

Regards,

Pavel

I agree with Sparky that you should NOT enable the Novo headers as an IDE default. You may wish to encourage its usage but you should not break my code or even require me to research why I suddenly have new unusual names in my name space. I have a large project that predates the appearance of Novo and so its (somewhat hidden) inclusion was highly surprising. At least it should announce its presence with a PRAGMA message ala the icd2.h and icd3.h files. But in general, the decision to impose on my application your choice of using an operating system is well outside the bounds of providing superb compilation tools. There are many complex design decisions that elucidate the choice of what features to include in an operating system based on the application contemplated, its design life, real time requirements, memory usage and the resources needed to be managed. These choices lead to many different operating system designs even with the ever decreasing constraints of these small computers. So, how can you be so sure that you've selected the correct design tradeoffs in a single OS? I don't want to imply that there is anything at all wrong with the Novo OS; but that it has a (relatively small) specific application space that does not come close to covering the same application space that the compilers cover and so should be options just as the various library functions (e.g. <string.h>, <memory.h>, <stdlib.h> are).