Sign in to follow this  
JMoore

Pic18 Evaluation Sb C Vs Microchip C18, And An Mplab Integration Issue

I hope this is a suitable place for these questions.

I am just starting some professional PIC development and am evaluating SourceBoost vs MCC18.

First, I have a problem with SourceBoost integration with MPLAB: When I make a change in one file, it recompiles all of them. Since my projects will be fairly large, this can be a nuisance.

Is there something I can change to make it selective in its compile? I have already concluded, for now, that the -X version of MPLAB is not ready enough yet.

Beyond that, I would be interested in comments on what makes SourceBoost a good choice (not looking for negative comments or I wouldn't post it here). Obviously the price is attractive. Beyond that, what features are more desirable?

For example, I would prefer to not be bothered with the quirks of the PIC - such as specifying memory banks and other stuff you don't have to sweat on other chips (such as Atmel or Freescale). Does SourceBoost do this in a more automatic manner?

Another example: I like the way the pragmas work - more standard than MCC18.

Other goodies?

Thanks

'JMoore'

First, I have a problem with SourceBoost integration with MPLAB: When I make a change in one file, it recompiles all of them. Since my projects will be fairly large, this can be a nuisance.

Is there something I can change to make it selective in its compile? I have already concluded, for now, that the -X version of MPLAB is not ready enough yet.

Sadly this is a current limitation with MPLAB integration.

Beyond that, I would be interested in comments on what makes SourceBoost a good choice (not looking for negative comments or I wouldn't post it here). Obviously the price is attractive. Beyond that, what features are more desirable?
Function overloading, function template and Novo RTOS are two unique features that are worth looking at.

For example, I would prefer to not be bothered with the quirks of the PIC - such as specifying memory banks and other stuff you don't have to sweat on other chips (such as Atmel or Freescale). Does SourceBoost do this in a more automatic manner?
The BoostC compiler/linker handles bank switching for you.

Regards

Dave