Jump to content
Mike Webb

Mplab Gives "link Step Failed" Following Successful Linking!

Recommended Posts

Hello

 

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my little problem?

I have just upgraded to MPLAB 8.73 and am having difficulty with getting my code to build. I have a very simple little piece of code which when I build it I get the following build log:

 

Clean: Deleting intermediary and output files.

Clean: Deleted file "main.OBJ".

Clean: Deleted file "Y:\Michael\T-Proj\PIC\EMU\Start1\v1.mcs".

Clean: Done.

Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\Third Party\SourceBoost\boostc_pic18.exe" main.c -O1 -W1 -t 18F46K80

BoostC Optimizing C Compiler Version 6.97 (for PIC18 architecture)

Copyright© 2004-2010 Pavel Baranov

Copyright© 2004-2010 David Hobday

 

Licensed to Farn51080 under Single user Pro License for 1 node(s)

Limitations: PIC18 max code size:Unlimited, max RAM banks:Unlimited

 

 

main.c

 

success

Executing: "C:\Program Files\Microchip\Third Party\SourceBoost\boostlink_pic.exe" "Y:\Michael\T-Proj\PIC\EMU\Start1\main.obj" -t 18F46K80

BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 6.97

Copyright© 2004-2010 Pavel Baranov

Copyright© 2004-2010 David Hobday

 

 

Building CASM file

Memory Usage Report

===================

RAM available:3584 bytes, used:1 bytes (0.1%), free:3583 bytes (99.9%),

Heap size:3583 bytes, Heap max single alloc:127 bytes

ROM available:65536 bytes, used:28 bytes (0.1%), free:65508 bytes (99.9%)

 

 

 

success

Link step failed.

BUILD FAILED: Tue Jul 19 08:41:11 2011

 

 

So the link process completes (generates .hex, .coff, .casm, .lst files), but MPLAB appears to reject it and I cannot run my code on the target.

 

One thing I might have done wrong - I could not get sourceboost to integrate into MPLAB so I did the integration manually with regedit - how else do I do it if it won't integrate automatically ???

... but maybe this has nothing to do with the above error.

 

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replying to myself...

 

I have now gone back to MPLAB v8.56 and all is well - very strange.

 

If anyone else has light to shed on this I would like to know. I will stick with v8.56 for now though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Webb,

I have now gone back to MPLAB v8.56 and all is well - very strange.

 

If anyone else has light to shed on this I would like to know. I will stick with v8.56 for now though!

I just tried MPLAB V8.73a (appears as V8.73.00.00 under menu Help -> About MPLAB IDE) on a totally clean installation on Windows XP.

1) Installed MPLAB V8.73a

2) Installed SourceBoost package V7.04.

3) Setup tool suite locations in MPLAB.

4) Created a new project in MPLAB.

5) Added a source file to the project.

6) Compiled project with success.

7) Single stepped project in MPLAB running MPLAB SIM, watching variables change value.

 

So it all worked for me with SB V7.04.

 

Regards

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...