Sparky1039

Conditional Compile Explanation

Simple question. I do I go about performing a conditional compile to code within “void main ()” ?

For code development I’m switching between two processors, one real hardware, other in Proteus simulation i.e. F67J11 and F67K22 respectively. Proteus lacks a 67J11 model so I’m using the 67K22 as a close substitute for my testing. The biggest difference between the two in my application is how the ADC registers are set up. The “J” part requires writing to a secondary SFR to set the ANCONx registers, where as the “K” part has no secondary SFR but has a 3rd ANCONx register.

I know #ifdef is applied for things like “pragmas” and such outside void main for conditional compilation, but I’m unsure how to apply a similar process to SFR register config’s within in void main (or other functions). Any explanation would be appreciated.

thx

Edited by Sparky1039

Sparky1039,

Simple question. I do I go about performing a conditional compile to code within “void main ()” ?

For code development I’m switching between two processors, one real hardware, other in Proteus simulation i.e. F67J11 and F67K22 respectively. Proteus lacks a 67J11 model so I’m using the 67K22 as a close substitute for my testing. The biggest difference between the two in my application is how the ADC registers are set up. The “J” part requires writing to a secondary SFR to set the ANCONx registers, where as the “K” part has no secondary SFR but has a 3rd ANCONx register.

I know #ifdef is applied for things like “pragmas” and such outside void main for conditional compilation, but I’m unsure how to apply a similar process to SFR register config’s within in void main (or other functions). Any explanation would be appreciated.

thx

In you code make sure you use #include<system.h> in your source files, this will then include the appropriate header file for the device you select.

You can conditionally compile code for each target using the following:

void foo()
{

#ifdef _PIC18F67J11
// code and register use specific to PIC18F67J11
#else
// code and register use specific to the other device

#endif

}

or

void foo()
{

#ifdef _PIC18F67J11
// code and register use specific to PIC18F67J11
#endif

#ifdef _PIC18F67K22 
// code and register use specific to PIC18F67K22 
#endif

}

or

#ifdef _PIC18F67J11

// function when using PIC18F67J11
void foo()
{
}

#endif

#ifdef _PIC18F67K22 

// function when using PIC18F67J11
void foo()
{
}

#endif

I hope that helps.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes this helps clarify things greatly.

I suspected as much that it was only a matter of including the #ifdef’s - #endif's in the code body, and I tried that but it failed to work. What I didn’t realize was the need for an underscore in front of the target device name. Once added it worked like a champ.