AllanL5

Bug in SX 'BANK' expansions

When I imbed the following:

#define GETVAL( MyVal, ParmNum, Page) \

asm {bank ParmNum}     \

asm {mov w,ParmNum} \

asm {bank MyVal } \

asm {mov MyVal,w}

The second 'bank' expansion does not get translated to the bank data, instead the string replacement of 'MyVal' gets put in there -- in ParmNum, '030h' gets put in.

I think this is a bug, no?   Or will this work properly the way it is?

Guest Pavel

Compiler will remove redundant bank instructions. What probably happens in this is that both ParmNum and MyVal are in the same register bank. Since the bank was already set for ParmNum compiler removes the second bank instruction that sets the same bank.

Regards,

Pavel

Yes, the compiler is excellent at removing redundant 'bank' expressions.  That's one of the things I really like about it -- I can sprinkle 'bank' instructions around, and know that only the needed ones will be kept.  

However, in this case the SECOND 'bank' instruction is NOT being removed.  I re-defined the variables, and defined a few character arrays (just to insure one variable was in one bank, and the other variable was in another bank).  

I can email you the example code, if you like.  But the code SHOULD expand as (I believe ) :

bank 010h

movw ParmNum

bank 030h

movw MyVal

Instead, it expands as

bank 010h

movw ParmNum

bank MyVal

movw MyVal

If MyVal is in the same bank as ParmNum, wouldn't this leave an extraneous 'bank' in the code?  And if they aren't in the same bank, will the 'bank MyVal' expression work?  Thanks.