Sign in to follow this  
JorgeF

Build Configurations Under Mplab

Hi Guys

When using BoostC integrated in MPLAB, the build configurations BUILD / RELEASE are not available and I couldn't find a way to activate/configure this functionality.

Do I have a problem with my instalation?

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use ICD tools (Pickit3 or ICD3) without this feature.

Best regards

Jorge

JorgeF,

When using BoostC integrated in MPLAB, the build configurations BUILD / RELEASE are not available and I couldn't find a way to activate/configure this functionality.

Do I have a problem with my instalation?

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use ICD tools (Pickit3 or ICD3) without this feature.

The build configurations Debug/Release are a function of the SourceBoost IDE.

These simplify the addition of code used in a debug build by allowing use of #ifdef _DEBUG and #ifndef _DEBUG to conditionally compile code.

They do not affect use of ICD2 or ICD3 header files.

Regards

Dave

Hi

Thank for the prompt reply Dave.

If I'm understanding it correctly in practice the choice of a build configuration DEBUG/RELEASE gives you a pre-defined "_DEBUG" and the choice to have two sets of extra compiler and linker "options".

I still have a couple of questions around this subject.

1 - Why doesn't I got those options under MPLAB, they are there for other toolsuites.

Is it a limitation of the integration of the Sourceboost toolchain in MPLAB, or the feature reserved for Microchip and some "special" partners?

2 - By what I could understand from the docs, the use of "ICDx.h" and BoostLink switch "-rt", do reserve the necessary resources for the ICDx debuggers.

And what about debugging, can it be done from the Sourceboost IDE or do I have to use MPLAB?

Best regards

Jorge

PS: By the way, I'm having a really good time with SB and Novo, even without doing any In Circuit Debugging.

Edited by JorgeF

JorgeF,

1 - Why doesn't I got those options under MPLAB, they are there for other toolsuites.

Is it a limitation of the integration of the Sourceboost toolchain in MPLAB, or the feature reserved for Microchip and some "special" partners?

I don't know the detail. This is one for Pavel to answer.

2 - By what I could understand from the docs, the use of "ICDx.h" and BoostLink switch "-rt", do reserve the necessary resources for the ICDx debuggers.

And what about debugging, can it be done from the Sourceboost IDE or do I have to use MPLAB?

Including the ICD2.h or ICD3.h in a source file in the project reserves all the required RAM locations needed by ICD2 or ICD3. The -rt linker option prevents linker from using the code spaced that ICD2/ICD3 needs to use for the code it installs on the target device.

PS: By the way, I'm having a really good time with SB and Novo, even without doing any In Circuit Debugging.

Nice to hear :-)

I don't know the detail. This is one for Pavel to answer.

Current MPLAB X integration was done for MPLAB X beta 5 and 7. We currently work on the update that will match changes made in MPLAB X since then. Unfortunately we need to get answers for a few technical questions from Microchip and they are a bit slow with replies. Hopefully we will resolve those soon and release an MPLAB X integration update.

Regards,

Pavel

My question was about MPLAB 8, I didn't made the move to X yet (*), that will have to wait until I get enought free time to get properlly aquainted with it.

Meanwhile I managed to verify that the buid configurations only seem to control the "__DEBUG" directive.

The inclusion of the "debug executive" and the handling of the "debug fuse" are activated by the choice of the "debugging menu" and not by the "build configuration".

So I managed to use the ICD tools (Pickit3 and ICD3) for debugging with MPLAB, and I can allways set up a functionality similar to the "__DEBUG" directive in my own code.

Tank you for all

Best regards

Jorge

(*) Around here we use to say that you shouldn't mess with a winning team.

Current MPLAB X integration was done for MPLAB X beta 5 and 7. We currently work on the update that will match changes made in MPLAB X since then. Unfortunately we need to get answers for a few technical questions from Microchip and they are a bit slow with replies. Hopefully we will resolve those soon and release an MPLAB X integration update.

Regards,

Pavel

Lots of gripes about MPLAB X in some areas on the Microchip forum. I'd guess that the folks at Microchip are rather preoccupied at the moment.

Consensus opinion there seems to be that the move from the "mature" version 8 written in C and C++, to X using Netbeans was a mistake, and that MPLAB X was rushed into release too soon.

Peter L