Sign in to follow this  
QBall

Source level debugging on real target

Hello,

I've evaluated your C++ compiler and compared it with CSS PCW Compiler. I find your IDE much better then PCW and PCW does not support C++ but just plain C. (and a lot of preprocessor directives I would rather not have)

You compared your product with CCS PCW Compiler and it does about the same (or even a little better) when it comes to being efficient. CCS compared their product with 4 other very unefficient compilers, but did not compare itself to your product.  ???

So, about your compiler and your environment I can only say that it is nice to work with and it all seems to work ok. But what I would like to see in a future release is Source level debugging instead of stepping through assembly. Also I would like to run my source code on my own target with my own hardware, instead of simulating it all.

Maybe you could contact microchip and ask them for specifications on how to communicate with a target through the ICD, ICD2 or ICE. (or all of them  :D )

If you can make these enhancements you have designed a product which is far more advanced then any of the other suppliers and I am sure I would buy it, even it has to cost twice as much as it does now!

I'll be waiting for your response,

Best Regards

Mr. P. Klanke

Tildesign B.V.

The Netherlands

yes make the source level debugging software thingy. that would be great help.

Imade for myself a small test board. it consisted of a few dip switches, a clock, a socket and a 7 segment LED. it is straight foward. use the dip swithces conected to port a and out comes the output in portb. The catch is that what if I want to use some of the portb as inputs or what if I want to add other external devices like an LCD or a circuit mounted on a brread board. for that I'll soon work on a universal board. well, universal for one or 2 PICs that is. maybe 16f84 and 16f877. The trick is in using those switches that have 3 legs. and a few jumpers. connect one of those switches to every pin on every port. this way each swich can have 2 uses. for example if you tuen the switch one side then port b can be conected to the 7 segment LED. turn it to the other and the output goes to a jumper. The jumper can be connected to something external to be use as input or output. I bet theres something out there that already does this but until then I trhink I'll build my own.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this