Sign in to follow this  
djulien

How To Determine Which Label Is Bad?

If I have some asm code that jumps to a label, and the C code containing that label is removed (because the linker thinks it is dead code), an error like the following will be reported by the linker:

Internal Error: Unable to resolve label ID:268440099 - 0x10001223

Is there an easy way to figure out which label is causing the problem? The map and other output files are empty, so there is nothing to tell me which label is the problem. I have been using a "trial & error binary search" on the labels to try to find the bad one(s), but that is very tedious. I was hoping there was a quicker way.

thanks

don

djulien,

If I have some asm code that jumps to a label, and the C code containing that label is removed (because the linker thinks it is dead code), an error like the following will be reported by the linker:

Internal Error: Unable to resolve label ID:268440099 - 0x10001223

Is there an easy way to figure out which label is causing the problem? The map and other output files are empty, so there is nothing to tell me which label is the problem. I have been using a "trial & error binary search" on the labels to try to find the bad one(s), but that is very tedious. I was hoping there was a quicker way.

Sadly no.

Internal errors are ones that end users should never get to see - assuming that compiler and linker are perfect.

It would be good to have a simple example of such bad code so we can improve compiler and linker.

Regards

Dave