Sign in to follow this  
L de vries

Problems And Workaround When Trying To Add Sourceboost Toolchain In Mplabx Fails

Hello,

I had to install sourceboost V7.11 to work with MPLab X 1.60, on a windows XP 32 bit machine.

After following the instructions in the MplabX_Plugin.pdf document, all worked, plugin installed as described on page 5.

All was ok, till the "Add New Toolchain" part on page 8.

Somehow MPlab cannot find the files needed, after browsing to the SourceBoost installation directory, the "base directory is not set or invalid" message stays.

And the ok button stays greyed.

After some frustrations and a moment of getting a bit more relaxed,

1. UN-installed sourceboost V7.11, and also UN-installed the pluging in MPlabx.

2. closed MPlabX

3. Installed sourceboost V7.10

4. installed MPlabX plugin according the instructions in the MplabX_Plugin.pdf document, all worked also "Add New Toolchain" part on page 8. worked with V7.10

5. tried to compile and link a project im MPlabX, all works as expeted.

Then..

6. closed MPlabX

7. UN-installed sourceboost V7.10 but made no chances on plugins or other things in MPlabX !

8. RE-installed sourceboost V7.11 skipped the intergrate in MPLab part, during installation

9. skipped also the MPLab plugin part, hoping the plugin install of V7.10 was still there and would work with V7.11.

10. compiled and linked a project with sourceboost V7.11, all worked.

Conclusion: it seems that somehow I have problems with the V7.11 MPLab plug in, that were not there when using the V7.10 version.

well.. It works again, I have several Boost C licences on different machines, glad they all work again.

Be course it is a verry good Compiler for the monney it cost, compared to the verry expensive node locked XC8 compiler.

For a Euro 787 u get SW006021-2 - MPLAB XC8 PRO:

Microchip MPLAB XC8 C Compiler V1.12

Copyright © 2012 Microchip Technology Inc.

License type: Node Configuration

../interrupt.c:109: warning: variable "_dummy" is not used

Memory Summary:

Program space used 62Dh ( 1581) of 2000h words ( 19.3%)

Data space used 7Ch ( 124) of 170h bytes ( 33.7%)

EEPROM space used 0h ( 0) of 100h bytes ( 0.0%)

Configuration bits used 1h ( 1) of 1h word (100.0%)

ID Location space used 0h ( 0) of 4h bytes ( 0.0%)

For Euro 155 u get same project in Sourceboost V7 commercial license

BoostLink Optimizing Linker Version 7.11

http://www.sourceboost.com

Copyright© 2004-2013 Pavel Baranov

Copyright© 2004-2013 David Hobday

Warning unreferenced functions removed:

display_symbool_fel in: E:\C_code_in_MPLAB-X\codeslot_sb\4x7_segmentLED.c

stop_interrupt in: E:\C_code_in_MPLAB-X\codeslot_sb\interrupt.c

Building CASM file

Memory Usage Report

===================

RAM available:368 bytes, used:122 bytes (33.2%), free:246 bytes (66.8%),

Heap size:246 bytes, Heap max single alloc:95 bytes

ROM available:8192 words, used:1658 words (20.3%), free:6534 words (79.7%)

What makes you pay 5 times extra? :blink:

Lieuwe

Edited by L de vries

Nice workaround. But I only have version 7.11 and 7.10 can not be downloaded anywhere. Can you, or anybody else, please provide me with version 7.10? Or is there an update for 7.11 available now?

Albert

Albert,

Nice workaround. But I only have version 7.11 and 7.10 can not be downloaded anywhere. Can you, or anybody else, please provide me with version 7.10? Or is there an update for 7.11 available now?

SourceBoost package V7.10 can be found here.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Is it possible to have the link to the "ZIP" package?

It will make things easier, because we really don't need all the install / uninstall steps as described by L de vries.

All it takes is to pick up the com-sourceboost-toolchain.nbm file from the 7.10 package (easy to extract from a ZIP file) and paste it in the 7.11 installation. Preferably prior to any atempt to install the SB711 toolchain in the MPLAB-X.

I did it this way with my second node inatallation and it was really simpler than the all sequence of install / unintall that I followed in my first installation node.

EDIT:

Forget, silly me, all it takes is to change the file extension in the link you posted.

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

Hello,

This is com-sourceboost-toolchain.nmb file from the Sourceboost V7.10 installation.

By copying this file in the Sourceboost V7.11 installation folder, the MPlab plugin should work.

Also Copy boostlink_picmicro.exe to temporary map, rename this file to boostlinkpic.exe

Copy this file back to Sourceboost Installation folder.

There is already such a file, but that file is only for displaying "You are using Old Linker name"

Lieuwe

com-sourceboost-toolchain.zip

Edited by L de vries

Hi guys -

I seem to be having the same problems as the original poster in this thread. I'm running MPLAB X v1.70 on a windows 7 machine, and am trying to integrate SourceBoost 7.11.

However, the installing 7.10 trick doesn't seem to be working for me. Neither did overwriting the com-sourceboost-toolchain.nbm file. The symptoms are the same as described by the original poster here.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Please try updated MplabX toolchain file http://www.sourceboost.com/CommonDownload/Fixes/com-sourceboost-toolchain.nbm Uninstall and remove the old SourceBoost toolchain file from MplabX first and than download the updated toolchain into your SourceBoost 7.11 installation directory and follow the instructions from MplabX Integration document. This file was tested with MplabX 1.70 and seems to work fine. It will be included into the coming SourceBoost 7.12 release.

Regards,

Pavel

HI Pavel - looks like things are working okay now. I haven't tried running any code yet, but at least the toolchain is there.

One thing I noticed is that I didn't need to do the "Add a new toolchain" step:

I reinstalled SB 7.11, and included the Integrate with MPLAB step (which failed because I'm using MPLABX). Then I added the plug-in. I tried to "manually" add the tool chain, but I kept getting the "this folder does not have a toolchain" error message.

But, when I restarted, the tool chain was there.

Thanks again!