Sign in to follow this  
mikew

Floating Point Math

I have successfully used the floating point library for PIC16F devices and wished to try an 18F2520 device. However, I discover that the compiler ( I have Version 6.97) flags an error that " incompatible .obj or .lib" found. The only information in the Float PDF is that the float.pic18.lib covers the 18F devices, but nowhere can I find a list of specific types that are covered.

I wonder if anyone with more experience can provide any advice and information in order that I may now choose a PIC18F device that is supported by the floating point library.

You need to used the floating point library built with the same compiler version that you use (in your case 6.97). Normally it's the library included into SourceBoost installation that you use. From your post it sounds that this might not be the case.

Tip: try to add linker command line argument -v. This will trigger more detailed linker output which might tell more details about this problem.

Regards,

Pavel

Many thanks for your assistance, which has allowed me to solve the problem. However, having now successfully created the hex file I have encountered another problem!

I have a TL866CS programmer that I have used without any problems for a variety of different PIC's. But with the 18F2520 a few bytes fail to program properly; programming followed by automatic verification succeeds for the code, but fails for the CONFIG section, and then performing another code verification fails. The failed bytes are always on a "page" boundary, i.e. 0x100, 0x200, 0x300 etc. I am trying to work out if this is a code problem, ( very unlikely, I think ) or a programmer problem, (most likely?) or a PIC problem ( possible, until I get more devices for comparison.)

Any light the experts can shed on this could save me a lot of wasted time, especially if anyone has experience of this programmer, which seems to be well made and a popular gadget.