Sign in to follow this  
mityeltu

Sourceboost Dead?

I have not seen any new product for win7 win8 from this group. Is sourceboost dead? Should I start looking for a new compiler/ide for the future?

Hi

I think you would better ask that directly to the support e-mail or to Dave or Pavel.

I don't know about Win 8, but the current version works 100% in Win7, both 32 and 64 bits.

For me its enought.

Around here we have a saying "don't change a winning team", so I will be staying with "7" for quite a while.

Anyhow, in the past I had my share of being a "Microsoft lab rat", so I'm done with M$ novelties. at least until SP2.

Just my 2 cents

Jorge

Sourceboost is a great product. I just think the 8-bit micro's are not as interesting as they used to be but I still like them because they are easy to work with.

Take a look at Google trends and you will see a downward slope for search terms such as Microchip, Atmel, mplab and so forth.

SourceBoost runs fine on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 and makes super code.

MPLABX also runs fine on Windows 8.1 and the C compiler is free, supports floating point natively and variable args for printf. The catch is that it only is free for 18F processors and the code produced is not as small and fast as SourceBoost (for a large sum of money it will produce better code).

The free Microchip compiler does not support the same function with different parameters like SB does nor does it have the lovely plugins and ability to write custom plugins for simulation. It is possible with some ifdefs to use common code that compiles on both tools.

Edited by trossin

Hi

Trossin you are so right.

Against my will, I'm currently developing a project with XC8.

It's been a PIA to port code from BoostC to it.

I'm missing some goodies like, function overloading that you mentioned, inline functions and, the biggest of all PIA, accessing bits inside a byte and bit type variables.

For each variable where I need bit level access I needed to create a new type withn a union of structs, and also creating struct of bit fields to aggregate what are "bit" variables in BoostC.

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

EDIT:

Another thing that I miss a çot when working with XC8 is "NOVO".

Its such bless, having a lightweight and easy to use tool like "NOVO"when we need to coordinate a number of tasks and specialy those who have delays inside them....

Best regards

Jorge

......... letting some steam off.....

Edited by JorgeF

I think no one is moaning about the SB quality. I for one have advised SB to many forum customers of the Company I work for.

However this distracts about the real question of the thread: is or not SB dead ? The missing direct support from SB creators would suggest just it is. And if so then I'm not entirely sure is XC8 the reason why!

I think the forum Administrators should shed some light on; and publicly not by e-mail!

Just as new potential customers should be aware whether or not SB is in good shape.

SourceBoost is alive and well. Just released a new version 7.30 with a number of improvements and fixes including a new IP library that implements basic IP stack (ARP/IP/UDP/DHCP/ICMP) which was quite fun to develop. We still support and develop it albeit not as active as before.

Regards,

Pavel

SourceBoost is alive and well. Just released a new version 7.30 with a number of improvements and fixes including a new IP library that implements basic IP stack (ARP/IP/UDP/DHCP/ICMP) which was quite fun to develop. We still support and develop it albeit not as active as before.

Regards,

Pavel

Awesome!

Question, are there libraries to make use of the 16F1459 USB functionality? Just a FYI, The chip also is not listed yet on the sourceboost homepage for a supported device.

Thanks!

ThunderSqueak

...are there libraries to make use of the 16F1459 USB functionality?...

No SourceBoost does not include any USB libraries :(

Regards,

Pavel

Hi

Regards,

Pavel

Awesome!

Question, are there libraries to make use of the 16F1459 USB functionality? Just a FYI, The chip also is not listed yet on the sourceboost homepage for a supported device.

Thanks!

ThunderSqueak

Take a look at [link=http://www.embeddedadventures.com]embedded adventures[/link].

They use to have a nice USB stack made with BoostC. It's been a long time since I looked at their tutorials, maybe they upgarded to their "picpak" library to handle teh more recent PICs.

Best regards

Jorge

Hi

Regards,

Pavel

Awesome!

Thanks!

ThunderSqueak

Take a look at [link=http://www.embeddedadventures.com]embedded adventures[/link].

They use to have a nice USB stack made with BoostC. It's been a long time since I looked at their tutorials, maybe they upgarded to their "picpak" library to handle teh more recent PICs.

Best regards

Jorge

I have, That was the first thing I looked into when I saw there is now support for the 16f1459 as that is the chip I am currently working with. Unfortunately it gets numerous compiler and preprocessor errors with 7.30 while attempting to compile the demo projects (using whatever chip the demos were meant for, I didn't change their target) :( This means that something has changed with the compiler in such a way that at least the USB library, which compiled under my older version of sourceboost, will not compile with this version?

I have the sourceboost C and sourceboost C++ pro licenses and would love to use it for this project, any help would be appreciated in getting the USB on the 16f1459 working would be great. For now I am using the XC8 compiler for the USB functionality as I need to get this done for work. Still, a proper USB support library would be awesome in sourceboost.

Cheers

...Unfortunately it gets numerous compiler and preprocessor errors with 7.30 while attempting to compile the demo projects (using whatever chip the demos were meant for, I didn't change their target) ...

I just tried to build couple of the USB projects from the PicPackLib 3.09 from www.embeddedadventures.com with 7.30 and here is what you need to change to make the project build:

Project ea_plt1003_usb2serial or ea_plt1003_usb_keyboard or usb_joy_mouse:

1. The project file contains path to the compiler that may be different from what is on your computer. After opening the project you need to go to Settings->Options->Tools and press the 'Get Default' button. This will reset the path to the compiler in the project

2. The project misses path to some of its include files. Go to Settings->Options->Compile Options and add to the 'Extra compiler options' field this string:

-I ../../pic_pack_lib

After these changes I was able to build the projects.

However I couldn't build the usb_serial project as some of the defines are missing. These defines are present in the usb_joy_mouse project so maybe copying them over will help.

Regards,

Pavel

...Unfortunately it gets numerous compiler and preprocessor errors with 7.30 while attempting to compile the demo projects (using whatever chip the demos were meant for, I didn't change their target) ...

I just tried to build couple of the USB projects from the PicPackLib 3.09 from www.embeddedadventures.com with 7.30 and here is what you need to change to make the project build:

Project ea_plt1003_usb2serial or ea_plt1003_usb_keyboard or usb_joy_mouse:

1. The project file contains path to the compiler that may be different from what is on your computer. After opening the project you need to go to Settings->Options->Tools and press the 'Get Default' button. This will reset the path to the compiler in the project

2. The project misses path to some of its include files. Go to Settings->Options->Compile Options and add to the 'Extra compiler options' field this string:

-I ../../pic_pack_lib

After these changes I was able to build the projects.

However I couldn't build the usb_serial project as some of the defines are missing. These defines are present in the usb_joy_mouse project so maybe copying them over will help.

Regards,

Pavel

I tried to get the usb_serial project to compile, adding those few defines results in a large number of other errors. I am guessing that the picpack library made use of some feature that no longer exists in the new compiler in order to work its magic. Not being able to use that code is a sad thing :( Had it worked I was willing to change my project to use one of the supported micros.

I know the pic16f1459 was recently added to the suppored list, one of the main reasons for choosing that chip is that it has USB capability. Do you know if there are any plans to implement a library to make use of that functionality?

Thanks

...I tried to get the usb_serial project to compile, adding those few defines results in a large number of other errors...

I spent more time on the PicPack library and eventually was able to build the usb_serial project. Here is a list of additional to my previous post changes that needs to be done:

1. Seems that some define names are a bit inconsistent. This fix will take care of this. In config.h add these code after the line '#define USB_EP0_IN_ADDR 0x0508':

#define USB_EP0_OUT_O_SIZE USB_EP0_OUT_SIZE

#define USB_EP0_OUT_O_ADDR USB_EP0_OUT_ADDR

#define USB_EP0_OUT_E_SIZE USB_EP0_IN_SIZE

#define USB_EP0_OUT_E_ADDR USB_EP0_IN_ADDR

2. For the value of PLATFORM_CLOCK defined in the project there are no defines for 2400 and 4800 serial baud rates. To fix this we'll use conditional compilation for the code that uses these values. In usb_cdc_class.c add ifdefs like this:

switch (my_lc->dte_rate.as_long) {

#ifdef SPBRG_2400 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< added line

case 2400:

current_bit_rate = SPBRG_2400;

#ifdef CDC_DEBUG

serial_print_str("2400 ");

#endif

break;

#endif <<<<<<<<<<<<<< added line

#ifdef SPBRG_4800 <<<<<<<<<<<<<< added line

case 4800:

current_bit_rate = SPBRG_4800;

#ifdef CDC_DEBUG

serial_print_str("4800 ");

#endif

break;

#endif <<<<<<<<<<<<<< added line

case 9600:

3. usb_serial project uses serial routines but source file with these routines in not part of the project. To fix this add pic_serial.c and pic_serial.h from the pic_pack_lib folder to the project.

After these changes the project could be built without errors.

Regards,

Pavel

Ok, that compiles with a few warnings, but those are minor, I may look into seeing if I can adapt it to one of the newer pics later. Thank you for your time :)