Sign in to follow this  
mityeltu

What Laptop To Use

OK. I left the reservation to attempt to find a more suitable compiler/tool suite to use on my laptop. I found one or 2 that worked but lacked the power I want/need for my work-related projects. That being said, I decided that maybe looking into a different laptop was the way to go. I am currently using a Toshiba P755-S5120 Laptop 15.6" (750 GB, Intel Core i7, 2.2 GHz, 8 GB) running Windows 7. This thing, as fast as it is, will not compile even the smallest of programs in less than a minute and if the program has any real size, it takes anywhere from 3 to 10. I don't have that kind of time to sit and wait for a program to compile that may not (very possibly) be entirely correct.

So, all you guys out there who use BoostC or BoostC++ and use a laptop, what laptop are you using and do you have the same compile time issues I do on my laptop? In other words, what should I be looking for in a laptop that will allow me to run this the way it was intended to run?

Thanks.

Thank you, Chuck.

So I guess you're the only one using a laptop for this?

No one else wants to chime in?

Hi

My laptop has the same specs of yours and I don't have any complains about compilation time.

It might take a while, but BoostC is no worse than other compilers.

I don't know what you call a "real size" program, but I have some big enought to almost fill the memory of a P18F8722 or 87J11.

I'm not sure, but maybe is the size of the source code files.

Fact is that my programs have lots of small source files. I tend to isolate the operating blocks of my programs in separate modules, meaning I can have up to 30+ source and header files in a single project, some of them so small they can fit in a single screen.

This way when I make changes in one or two modules and then build, the compiler doesn't have much to compile.

Maybe that is helping with the build time.

Just my 2 cents ...

Best regards

Jorge

PS: I have disabled all power saving features on my laptop. Anyhow development is made at the office with power from the grid.

Edited by JorgeF

I use a Lenovo B575 which cost a magnificent $300 in 2011, but last year I spent $200 to replace the motherboard (dubious economy there, but I didn't want the hassle of shifting everything over to a new machine--the hard drive was OK, so no issues concerning lost data).

Boostc runs way slower than other compilers, and I'm just used to it being the way it is. Most of my programs are pretty small, anyway. By comparison, MikroC is almost instantaneous. I don't think it has much to do with the machine you run it on.

my experience is the same on a hp4520 (i5) win7 both xc8 and mikroc compile in milliseconds sourceboost in minutes, I saw post somewhere indicating that spourceboost works much faster using windows xp

@richardc: Yes, I have found that to be true. I have a much older laptop running XP and while still slower, it is infinitely faster than on the laptop with win7. I suppose part of it is the bloated nature of win7. I really don't like microshaft.

@JorgeF: When I say "any real size" I mean a few kbytes. I have a couple of programs that might fill half the memory on a 18f452. Most only take a few hundred bytes. The few hundred byte programs still take minutes to compile. The larger programs take many minutes. I just hate the wait. I don't have time for that.

I'll try turning off all the power saving features, though I think they are already turned off when on line power. I don't expect much change there. I probably need to get a clean build win7 disk rather than the toshiba duild. I suspect alot of fluff is running in the background that is getting in my way.

Hi

........I probably need to get a clean build win7 disk rather than the toshiba duild. I suspect alot of fluff is running in the background that is getting in my way.

That is usually true for most brand computers.

Recently at work I had that same issue with Toshiba laptops and a couple years ago it happened with HP desktops also.

My working machines are a home assembled mini tower based on ASUS P5K board with a Quad core Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz and 4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM.

The laptop is a i7 8 core cpu @ 3GHz with 8GB DDR3 RAM.

In my experience BoostC is definitely slower than XC8, but not enought to consider it a scandal.

OTHOH I use XC8 in free mode, with minimal optimization, if any, against a full featured licenced BoostC with full optimization.

I can accept a small time fee to get ride of the bloated code generated by XC8.

Best regards

Jorge