Reynard

Binary Semaphores

Dave and Pavel,

Having problems with binary semaphore being set when powering up.

The binary semaphore storage byte '___sema' does not appear to get cleared during SysInit().

This byte is also not contained with the Sheduler structure. I am sure there is a good reason for that.

If I clear this byte within my application (after SysInit() call) all works OK.

Should I patch Novo.c or do you have a preferred solution.

Cheers

Reynard

I was hoping if somebody could offer some design advice regarding the use case for binary semaphores.

In a situation where you have a hardware interrupt eg. rx buffer full and you want to signal to another thread to parse the data packet, is there any advantage of using a binary semaphore instead of simply putting the parsing thread asleep and waking it up from the interrupt? Both seem to work without any noticeable differences but since I do this kind of thing so often I just wanted to make sure there wasnt a reason to use one technique over the other. Thanks

I was hoping if somebody could offer some design advice regarding the use case for binary semaphores. In a situation where you have a hardware interrupt eg. rx buffer full and you want to signal to another thread to parse the data packet, is there any advantage of using a binary semaphore instead of simply putting the parsing thread asleep and waking it up from the interrupt? Both seem to work without any noticeable differences but since I do this kind of thing so often I just wanted to make sure there wasnt a reason to use one technique over the other. Thanks

Good question.

If more than one task or thread of execution wants to share a resource then semaphores are a much better fit.

If only two tasks or threads want to share a resource, and one of them wants to do the foreground processing, then waking and sleeping is probably much neater.

Regards

Dave

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.