Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

profiler

Guest Joe

Toolbar button doesn't turn off when the profiler window is closed.

no biggie - but confusing.

Guest Pavel

This is expected behaviour. Profile button turns profile on or off. Closing profile window doesn't turn profiler off. The next ide release will have a dedicated toolbar for alll its panels. This will make things less confusing.

Regards,

Pavel

Guest Joe

The profiler appears to always run weither the button is on or not.

example:

Run a program, wait for a minuite or so, then enable profiller, the code hit counts are in the thousands indicating that the profiller was already counting the hits, even though the button suggests that the profiller was turned off.

Guest Pavel
Run a program, wait for a minuite or so, then enable profiller, the code hit counts are in the thousands indicating that the profiller was already counting the hits, even though the button suggests that the profiller was turned off.

If the profile button in debugbar isn't pressed profiler isn't running regardless is the profile window is visible or not.

Regards,

Pavel

Guest Joe

Follow these instructions, based on your last responce, i think you have another bug:

Build a program

Click the debugger button

open a profiler window (right-click -> profile)

click RUN

Wait for about 30 seconds

click PROFILE

click STOP <quickly>

--- the profiler window shows the program utilisation results. The results are too high to be based on the time it took me to click the PROFILE button then the STOP button in sucession (about 0.5 seconds).

If the profiler was NOT running in the background, where does it get this info from? Does it guess??

This clearly shows without a doupt that the profiller is infact always running in the background, but it doesnt display the results until the profiler button is pressed.

This is probably why simulation is soooo slooooowww.....

Guest Pavel
This clearly shows without a doupt that the profiller is infact always running in the background, but it doesnt display the results until the profiler button is pressed.

Hmmm I was able to reproduce this. You are right. Something looks wrong. Will investigate tonight.

Regards,

Pavel

Guest Pavel

Hmmm I was able to reproduce this. You are right. Something looks wrong. Will investigate tonight.

Regards,

Pavel

What you see is data left from previous profile run. If you try to do this right after ide start there won't be any data in profile window:

- start SourceBoost IDE

- show profile windows but leave profile button not pressed

- run code for a while

- stop code execution

- push the profile button (there won't be any data in the profile window)

Regards,

Pavel

Guest Joe
What you see is data left from previous profile run.

If a program is changed and rebuilt, then all prevoius profiler data is invalid - so it should be cleared when a build takes place.

This is a bug.

Guest Joe

Sorry, i still dissagree, the profller is infact running even when the button is OFF, its just not showing the data:

build and debug (do not run)

show profiler window

RUN

wait 2 secs

TURN OFF PROFILER, leave window open

(debug is still running)

(profiler shows ....(60k)

wait 2 minuites (program is running)

very quickly turn on and off the profiler once

(profiler shows ....(700k)

this indicates that the profiler was infact collecting data when it was suposed to be turned off!

Guest Pavel

OK I re-checked how profiler works. It's always active but if the profile button in ide isn't pressed the profile data isn't updated.

Profiler data collection overhead is tiny.

Profiler data gets cleared when debug session starts.

I don't plan to change anything in this scheme.

Regards,

Pavel