mityeltu

Port Encapsulation... Union? Struct?

mityeltu    0

I am trying to encapsulate 2 ports from 18F2620 into a single variable. What I want to be able to do is something like the following pseudocode

variable ex_port = porta:portb // 16 bits of 2 ports in a single variable

for (z = 0, z<16, z++)

ex_port.z = 1

next z

what I'm trying to do is to sequence through both ports as well as to be able to address each individual port pin wihtout having to first address the individual port. I hope that makes sense.

Is there some way to bundle the ports together like this?

Since boostc does not support bitfields, this becomes pretty large if I used a structure of bytes.

I hope I'm not just making this way harder than it needs to be. Is there an easy way?

JorgeF    0

Hi

The problem is not to join the 2 ports under a single 16 bit variable as long as the 2 ports have concecutive addresses in RAM, , like exemplified by richardc.

The real problem is beeing able to scan all the bits in a loop.

The dot (.) operator when applied to bit access has a serious limitation, it doesn't acept a variable for the bit number.

So you can access all 16 bits (x.0 to x.15) but you can't use the loop index to do it, only compile time constants.

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

jartim    0
On 17/02/2017 at 9:23 PM, JorgeF said:

The dot (.) operator when applied to bit access has a serious limitation, it doesn't acept a variable for the bit number.

Hi Jorge, 

That's probably because there is no corresponding instruction at the assembly instruction level, only 'bsf' or 'bcf' with a constant.

JorgeF    0

Hi

44 minutes ago, jartim said:

Hi Jorge, 

That's probably because there is no corresponding instruction at the assembly instruction level, only 'bsf' or 'bcf' with a constant.

If code can be generated to compute indexing of arrays, struct fields, ponters and so on, for sure it can also generate code to access a given bit in a byte or word from a variable.

My guess is that a piece of generic code to do that would be heavy and ineficient, so they choose to leave it to the programmer, to write optimized code for each use case.

Just my 2 cents....

Best regards

Jorge

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.