Hello -

When the compiler generates code for "test_bit(x,y)" it very nicely generates a 'btfss' instruction.

However, when it generates code for "!test_bit(x,y)" it generates much more complex code because the ! is a logical operation not a bit-wise operation.

It would be nice if the compiler could spot that "!test_bit(x,y)" is really a 'btfsc' instruction instead.

Thanks!

Hi

Any special reason to not use the bitwise not operator (~) or does it generate the same code^?

Using a logical operator induces the compiler to do a type cast on the result of "test_bit" to a logical type (char or int) before checking its value.

In strict 'C' the "!test_bit(...)" expression translates to something like "!(char)test_bit()" or "!(int)test_bit(...)"

How about droping the old "test-bit()" and similar macros and using direct bit indexing,

If I'm not worng its available since the first release of BoostC 7.xx

AFAIK the "test_bit", "set_bit" and "clear_bit" macros have been deprecated several years ago.

EDIT ADD:

"semantics do matter!"

Best reards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

Hi Jorge-

Yes, you're correct, dropping the test_bit() function and accessing each bit using the 'Byte.Bit' format works correctly.

I will no longer use test_bit( ) in my code.

Rgds

Tim

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.