mikew

BoostC error message

I have been using Sourceboost C Version 6.97 for some time, without any problems.  Today I re-compiled a file and obtained the following odd message:-
Compiler executable was renamed  from boostc.pic18.exe to boostc_pic18.exe
If you see this dialog this means that you still try to use the old compiler name.

Nothing has been changed in the installation in any way, and I am at a loss to understand what this error means.  After choosing ‘OK’ the compile/link etc. process seemed to continue correctly.
I am at a loss as to why this "error" message has suddenly appeared for no obvious reason.  In this case I can't blame Windows 10 updates!!
Perhaps someone more knowledgable of Boost C can shed some light?

Hi

I might be wrong, but.

I have a faint memory of such a change somewhere along the V7.xx versions.

At the time the subject was discussed/explained in the forum, maybe you should take a look at it.

What is the exact version you are using?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  The Boost C I have been using for years is Version 6.97 - I have never had the need to upgrade to Version 7.xx. So I can't think that this has anything to do with this sudden "relapse"!! 

Since I posted this, I've discovered that the compiler now actually does nothing!!  Clicking on 'OK' in the message, it continues without any warnings, declares 'Success'   and 'Done'   but has not parsed the source file and has not produced a new .hex file.

I'm thinking that a fresh install might cure the problem, but not sure if this is a bad idea without having some idea why it has suddenly happened for no apparent reason.

Hi

That's strange.

Might it be that you are working with a very old project, created under a previous version? How does it behave with a brand new project?

In my installation (7.43), all the compilers have the underscore in the name, also the linker.

BTW, don't forget to do a good virus/malware scan on your PC.

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by JorgeF

Hi,

Some delay in responding to your thoughts, and your mention of a virus scan is not far off the mark, but in the wrong direction!

To cut a long story short, it turned out that it was my all-singing-all-dancing virus checker that was the culprit.  The penny dropped when I attempted to re-install my version 6.97 toolchain; this was stopped because it declared it contained a trojan!!  Ultimately, after a lot of faffing about, it simply required certain compiler files etc. to be excluded from any scanning.  The culprit is F-Secure Safe, which I have been using for years; they obviously snook in an update which then caused me to waste 2 days going round in circles.  Grrrrrrrrr!

Again, thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond. (I never got anything from Sourceboost support)

Mikew

Hi

Yep.

Its not the first time that an anti-virus triggers a false positive.

Surprisingly it rarely happens as all it takes is a shared sequence of code with a known virus. With the millions of programs out there in the world, it could happen a lot more.

Good you have your problem sorted out.

Best reagrds

Jorge