Sign in to follow this  
shasson

ID Locations

It says in the data sheets that ID Locations cannot be read during normal execution.  

Does that mean there is no way to check the ID Locations inside your code or access them in anyway?

Just wanted to make sure, it seems odd that you can't read the ID Locations during runtime (writting is understandable).

Thanks.

Does that mean there is no way to check the ID Locations inside your code or access them in anyway?

That is absolutely correct - your program cannot interact with the ID locations in any fashion.  I typically use these locations to store revision info, so that I can later read a part that's been programmed and see what rev the code inside is.

-tom

You mean, this is ALMOST absolutely correct.  Some of the 18 series parts, i.e. the 18F452 allow reading of IDLOCS during normal execution through the TBLRD and TBLWT assembly instructions.  Most other parts do not allow acces during normal execution, check with the data sheets for the part you are working with.

Check out the data sheets from the microchip website, DS39564B.pdf (Datasheet for the 18FXX2).